starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method ID stalling

Default Texas Method ID stalling

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I am 32 yo, 6'1.2" (186 cm) and 168 lbs (76 kg).
    Last year I did a linear progression SS program, with no real progress anymore and a few weeks ago shifted to a TM 4 day routine:

Day 1: Bench ID, Press VD, Chin-ups
    Day 2: Squat VD, DL VD
    Rest
    Day 3: Press ID, Bench VD, Chin-ups
    Day 4: Squat ID, DL ID
    Rest

My weights (all 5RM):
    DL: 157.5 kg
    Squat: 125 kg
    Bench: 90 kg
    Press: 52.5 kg

For me doing 5x5 85% of ID is easy and I just have to rest for 2 or 3 minutes.
    On the other hand, I am already struggling with progress at ID doing 5RM (at least for Bench trying to raise 1.25 kg/week or even less), so I am thinking about shifting to 3RM.

It looks to me as if the volume is not enough and I have to go to 90% of ID. Would you agree?
    My DL is doing great, so I don't think the DL VD (2x5) is too much.
    Another reason for my lack of progress might be that I am not eating enough. I am not gaining weight since a few months, although I am eating a lot and as much as possible (I have problems with pimples when eating too much or too unhealthy).

Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately you can't program around 6'1 168. I'm not an advocate of trying to GOMAD yourself out of every stall, but your leverages are going to be very poor at this height and weight.

You're going to need to read up on intelligent ways of increasing calories. Gaining muscle mass is not about just randomly shoving shit in your face until you are full.

You can do literally any strength program in existence right now and you will have issues with recovery and performance.

You don't have to eat unhealthy to gain weight, but a few "unhealthy" meals here and there are just really damn useful for driving up weekly caloric intake. You can grow on chicken and white rice.....but you have to eat a lot to get there.

Do you have an estimate of your average daily protein intake at the moment? All training related data right now is irrelevant: % of volume day, 5RM vs 3RM, NLP vs TM, etc doesn't matter right now.

Thank you for your answer.

I will try to find ways to increase my caloric intake. Right now I estimate 130 g protein for a typical day. Is that enough?

6’1” and 168lb isn’t going to allow for much muscle mass. You need nutritional programming.

Nutritional programming is not necessary. Gain 40 pounds immediately. This is not complicated.

As a general rule, when anybody named "Slim" suggests "nutritional programming", you can safely ignore his advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tomarto View Post
    Thank you for your answer.

I will try to find ways to increase my caloric intake. Right now I estimate 130 g protein for a typical day. Is that enough?
    Not even close. 200 g minimum.

Oh I meant, pack on 40 lb quick tomarto. By the end of the summer you may have another 5-10lbs of muscle and 30-35lbs of fat. This is your only and most logical option.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim E View Post
    Oh I meant, pack on 40 lb quick tomarto. By the end of the summer you may have another 5-10lbs of muscle and 30-35lbs of fat. This is your only and most logical option.
    Brilliant. A devastating rebuttal.

At 6'3 that still works well.

starting strength coach development program
    By the end of the summer you may have another 5-10lbs of muscle and 30-35lbs of fat.
    How do you know this, Slimmy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast