starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower back stiffness and hip pain. MRI pics and doctor advice included.

Angry Lower back stiffness and hip pain. MRI pics and doctor advice included.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Background info: I've been training according to SS for about 3 months by now. I gained 40 pounds, got my body fat rate from 10% to 20%, increased my squat and deadlift by 60 pounds approximately. I now weigh 180 pounds and have lower back stiffnes and hip pain.

So I got my MRI results today. They look like this:

I'll do my best with translating what the othopedist told me, since my native language is not English: "You have a diffusely bulging disc at L5-S1 and anterior straightening at the dural sac."
    I was terrified. He then redirected me to a brain surgeon. The brain surgeon took a look at the MRI and told me that I don't have much to worry about and the orthopedist was exaggerating. I don't know if he told so just because I was looking very terrified or if it was the case though. He also told me that my back muscles had a spasm and that I should rest, swim and do some core exercises.

I believe that either the squats or the deadlifts caused this since my form is very questionable. Terrible at times, especially with the low-bar squat.

So the question is, how bad is my back looking at these MRIs and what should I do? My lower back stiffnes and right hip pain are still here, so I won't train for a while. After that, would switching to high-bar squats help?

I posted some form videos on the forums previously, I believe you can access them through my profile.

This MRI is not even remotely interesting. But hang on: you gained 40 pounds of bodyweight and added 60 pounds to your squat and deadlift in 3 months? Are you serious?

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This MRI is not even remotely interesting. But hang on: you gained 40 pounds of bodyweight and added 60 pounds to your squat and deadlift in 3 months? Are you serious?

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe
    Does that mean that the MRI is looking good? How should I update my training habits now? Is switching to high-bar squats a good idea so that I don't stress my lower back as much as I used to?

I actually gained a bit more weight than that. We weigh things in kilos in where I live, and I just multiplied the numbers by two. I gained 20 kgs in 3 months, going from 60 to 80. Body fat rate went from 10% to 20%. I used to look like a twig, I'd eat egg whites and 40 grams of oatmeal for breakfast and go do "alternating supinating concentrate dumbbell curls on ab incline bench" at the gym because I was a "bodybuilder" in my little brain. Then I read the book and started having 4 meals a day, lots of nuts and drank a lot of milk. Most of the weight I gained look like fat though. The photos on the first row are from 3 to 4 months ago. Rest were taken recently. Thank you for writing the book, I get more matches on Tinder now and I feel stronger and more confident in general.

PhotoGrid_1555008855520.jpg

My lifts are not impressive though. Squat: 85kgs, deadlift: 95kgs, bench press: 65kgs, overhead press: 47,5kgs. I started off with an empty barbell.

But the main point is that I injured myself, my right hip hurts, got a bulging disc, my parents are mad at me for lifting things that would injure me, I don't know what to do, and need help with that.

Sorry, I messed up. I gained 40 pounds but increased my lifts by 60 kilos. I was 60 kilos and I started off with squatting with an empty barbell. I now weigh 80 kilos and can squat 85 kilos. Switching between pounds and kilos are confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by GorkemSahin View Post
    I get more matches on Tinder now
    You mean grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by JCross View Post
    You mean grinder?
    That's a stupid, unfunny joke with no basis. Why would you call me that, assuming you are older than the age of 10?

Talking

It was poking fun at you for bragging about your tinder matches.

It was poking fun at you for bragging about your tinder matches.
    Oh there is nothing to brag about there. 2 is more than 0, that's why I can say I get more Tinder matches now. That was just a silly way of saying "I think I look better after gaining 40 pounds".

You mean grinder?
    Don’t pretend you don’t know it’s spelled Grindr.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm only a medical student (so don't take my opinion seriously at all) but it looks like you have a very mild disc protrusion.

Pain is complex (refer to articles posted on this board). The main cause of your lower back is probably your lumbar erectors spasming due to you lifting incorrectly (causing your disc protrusion). The best way to fix this is to lift BUT with good form.

I remember your previous squat videos. You had no control over your lower back, which probably caused your disc to slip. So, keep squatting, posting vids to the board, get a coach etc. The main thing is, getting stronger will more than likely completely resolve your back pain and have you feeling healthier than before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast