starting strength gym

Thread: Upper Back Pain

Default Upper Back Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    About 2.5 weeks ago my upper back started to hurt. It is a tolerable, but somewhat sharp pain in the area between my right shoulder blade and spine. It started to hurt the day after a workout (squat, press, deadlift). I think it may be from the deadlift, but I'm not sure because nothing hurt during the workout. It hurts a little bit to set my upper back tight, and also if I take a deep breath. It hurts the most when I am first getting the bar into position for the squat. I have to do some of the Paul Horn stretches and it is painful for the first few warmup sets. However, once the bar is in position and the weight is on my back it doesn't really hurt.

My thoughts are it has something to do with the rhomboid, trap, or a rib, or tendons in that area. I think a rib is unlikely, because it doesn't hurt to have the bar pressing on my back. My plan is to keep on training and hope it goes away, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. Anything I should be concerned about? Would it be worth while to go see a chiropractor? I've been using a lacrosse ball to massage it and that helps a little. Thanks.

A common injury, if it really is an injury. A spasm like this may come to visit occasionally, and there's really nothing to do for it but train through it.

Thanks Rip. Good to know it’s a common thing. I’ll keep pressing on.