starting strength gym

Thread: Questions regarding Starr protocol (It's really a muscle belly tear)

Default Questions regarding Starr protocol (It's really a muscle belly tear)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    2 days ago I felt a sharp pain in my hip/low back right after setting the bar down after presses. Did heavy squats before and no pulls that day. Doc said she's sure its a muscle belly tear.

Pain has become more manageable. Occassional sharp pains went away. Now it's more dull and just a general tightness.

Did 20 rep empty bar squats & presses, today. Felt better afterwards. Tried deadlifts afterwards but they really pissed me off.

I'm not exactly sure what this means since I seem to have teared the muscle after racking the bar with a press weight, having done no pulls that day.

Question 1: Should I do the protocol with deadlifts, since those piss me off the most? Or at least, try 'em tomorrow?

Question 2: Is it a good or bad idea to do the dynamic version of the press (only one I know) ? When should I start doing 'em (and cleans?)

Question 3: How do I rack the bar after pressing properly from now on, without injuring myself like a jackass?

Question 4: I've been losing weight at a steady pace (2lbs p/w). Should I up my calories for recovery these 2 weeks?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

How big is the bruise?

About 3 inches wide, 1 inch in height.

Thank you for your time. (And your book & instruction)

Start with deadlifts tomorrow, do the reps, and then bench/press normally, then squat up to a 70% set of 5. Wear a belt for presses and squats. I have absolutely no idea how you tear a muscle belly reracking a press.

Thank you, Rip.

Quick update:

First day, I had to lie-down after 1 rep with 30kg's. Pain was barely noticeable 2-3 hours after training.
    The workouts were hard, but it'always felt better afterwards.
    Now, 3 weeks later, I PR'd my deadlift. Bystanders were acting as if I was walking on water.
    If I had taken everyones elses advice I'd have "moved around" for 6-8 weeks.

What I did:
    Deadlifts almost every day for 10 days. Did multiple shorter sets because I lacked confidence in my form. Pyramid sets at first, back-off sets later.
    Cut down on volume (and frequency after the 10 days) as the intensity ramped up. Used straps a lot.
    Worked my way up from 70% squat % 90% press, Bench was unaffected.

Advice:
    Take ibuprofen pre-workout & ice frequently (dont burn it!)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    2 days ago I felt a sharp pain in my hip/low back right after setting the bar down after presses.
    The way you worded that caught my eye. What do mean mean by “setting the bar down,” i.e., how do you go about re-racking the bar when you press? How much weight was on the bar when you got injured? Did you walk it back into the rack and lower it onto the hooks with your legs, or did you do what I sometimes see people doing – just kind of throw it forward onto the hooks from several inches away?