starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Issue

Default Shoulder Issue

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All.

Here is some background. I have done the Novice program several times over the last 10 years. I have been coached in the past and have good form in the squat, press and DL, but not... the bench press.

Here is my issue: after a shoulder injury from the bench press my shoulder still "clicks", and when it does it hurts. Is this normal or does it sound like a tear?

I went a little too heavy recently on a bench press set and the bar drifted forward towards my belly button near the bottom, on a heavy set of 5. I pulled it back in to a straight bar path as I pressed up, and racked the bar. I had shoulder pain from it. I couldn't bench press after that, as there was too much pain in my shoulder. The pain lasted for a week. I didn't need to ice or take any pain meds, so it wasn't terrible pain, I just couldn't bench, but continued my workouts(lift 3x p week, sq, bp, chins, dips, dl, 3x5). My routine was a loose take on the novice program... I wasn't doing the program.

My shoulders are always VERY flexible, I always concentrate on keeping them loose with different warm ups and chins/pullups.

Now after two weeks, the pain and stiffness has gone, and I have done 3-4 light 3x5 barbell sets. I do push ups, chins, pullups. I can't really dip, it feels like I have no power to dip.

If feels like I'm rehabbing well, but I have this problem, my shoulder keeps clicking in random movements. And when it clicks, it hurts, its painful. The movement is totally random when it happens.

My question is; is this normal, or does it sound like I have a shoulder tear? It would be my first one every in life at 43, after years of Crossfit, lifting and other sports. Thanks.

Shoulder pain is not "normal" in the sense that you're not supposed to have shoulder pain, but it is extremely common, especially after years of CrossFit. I hope you're not asking for a diagnosis over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Shoulder pain is not "normal" in the sense that you're not supposed to have shoulder pain, but it is extremely common, especially after years of CrossFit. I hope you're not asking for a diagnosis over the internet.
    I thought I was one of the lucky ones to go for 10+years without a shoulder injury. I really think I did this though with the errant bench press. I am going to my Dr. this week to get checked out for a diagnosis.

The intent of my question was to find out if it was normal for the shoulder to pop or crack for a little while, after a strain, without it being an actual tear.

A previously quiet shoulder that gets hurt and is thereafter noisy is most likely injured. This does not mean that it must be repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A previously quiet shoulder that gets hurt and is thereafter noisy is most likely injured. This does not mean that it must be repaired.
    thanks. Saw my sports doc, he said the labrum could do this after a strain. After he tested determined I didn't need a scan, and most likely it was only a strain. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
    Hi All.

My shoulders are always VERY flexible, I always concentrate on keeping them loose with different warm ups and chins/pullups.
    Have you considered that this might be part of the problem?

starting strength coach development program
    Of course not! Mobility is always good.