starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift shoes ?

Default Deadlift shoes ?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I do all my warm-ups in weight lifting shoes, but for the work set I prefer lifting in socks. It certainly seems that socks are easier and allow me to lift heavier which is why I choose to do it that way. The weight lifting shoes I use don't have a particularly pronounced heel-less than an inch. I've read Rips 'going deeper on the DL' but I don't find a heel to be an advantage.

The reason I'm asking is 3 fold:

1. After lifting I get some discomfort in my left foot, it's not much, but I'm concerned that I should really have some support.

2. The shoe gives some protection from dropped items-not much, but better than socks.

3. In a commercial gym, I have no idea what nasties I'm standing on and in socks that are so thin they often go into holes at the least opportune times.

I've seen DL slippers, but I don't think these offer any arch support/strapping ? I know Rip says to modify a lifting shoe, but modern shoes aren't easy to mod. I had thought about finding a pair of leather soled dress shoes and chopping the heel off.

Anyone found a solution ?

There are a few brands that make deadlift shoes. All the support of a weightlifting shoe but without the heel. Sabo comes to mind as one of them.

Also you can uses flat sneakers like Chuck Taylor's or Adidas Sambas, they'll give the protection that socks won't, but won't give the support of a dedicated lifting shoe.

I started in chucks when I was a newbie, moved on to Sabo and have settled in on Adipowers for everything. Despite the heel rise of the Adipower I prefer them over the Sabo. Likely because I use them for everything else so they feel normal. I tried socks once but it was a no go. I need the support and a midfoot strap that a lifting shoe provides. There's my $0.02, ymmv.

Cheers, Sabo looks good. I didn't realise the strength shop in the UK sold them. Last time I looked it was only slippers. These might actually work better for squatting as I have more issues with the weight tipping me forward and I don't suffer ankle mobility problems anyway.