Post Doing my fahves in Warsaw

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Name: Piotr
    Height: 202 cm/6'7
    Weight: 144 kg/317 lb

The Stronglifts attempt

I started lifting in June 2018. I did a month of Stronglifts, tweaked my left thigh and stopped training. I got the Polish version of the Blue Book in July, read it over the summer and, armed with the knowledge, started the SSNLP in late September 2018.

Final working set weights for Stronglifts (11 workouts in June 2018)
    Squat: 42.5 kg
    Bench press: 32.5 kg
    Barbell row: 42.5 kg
    Press: 30 kg
    Deadlift: 60 kg

The Way of the SS Novice

I started SSNLP on 2018-09-28 with the following loads:

Squat: 30 kg
    Bench press: 40 kg
    Press: 30 kg
    Deadlift: 60 kg

Progressed until mid-February 2019
    Squat: 120 kg
    Bench press: 70 kg
    Press: 50 kg
    Deadlift: 147.5 kg
    Power clean: 62.5 kg

Valentine Day's Mishap
    I failed my squat at 122.5 kg on my way up and dropped/rolled the bar over my head.
    It shook me somewhat, despite doing 5x2 at 100 kg a few minutes later.
    The next day I came down with a severe cold and resumed lifting on March 9th.

2019-03-9
    Squat: 80 kg
    Bench press: 50 kg
    Press: 45 kg
    Deadlift: 110 kg

I had another cold in early April and did another reset.

The latest loads as of 2019-04-26 are

Squat : 100 kg
    Bench press: 65 kg
    Press: 50 kg
    Deadlift: 140 kg

My compliance is spotty. I have clocked 60 workouts since September 2018 instead of 90 under the 3 workouts/week regime.

I often take 2 days of rest instead of one, as I don't seem to recover sufficiently between workouts after one day of rest.

The current plan is to improve my compliance and to reintroduce the power clean once my deadlift starts getting heavy again.

Still, despite NDTFP, I got stronger, didn't injure myself and am enjoying training a lot.

You are making great gains. Have you thought of taking online coaching?

Welcome to the forums, Piotr!! It's great to have you join us

One thing I'll mention, since I see you're 45 (I'm 55, but from a weightlifting point of view, we're both "Masters", i.e. - old). The "program" is understood to perhaps need adjustments for those who are older, so don't beat yourself up (in the metaphorical sense) over needing more than 1 day of rest between workouts. Many of us have modified the program to account for the older individual who requires more than one day off between workouts to recover.

Remember, the whole principal is SRA (stress, recovery, adaptation). If you don't allow for recovery from the stress, you haven't really adapted (yet), and so you're not ready for the next application of stress. And if that makes you miss workouts, then you're even further behind.

There is a lot of accumulated wisdom on these boards, so by all means, please ask questions. We're happy to offer whatever knowledge we have.

And, in addition to Carson's good advice, I'd recommend Dr. Sully's book (the Barbell Prescription), which has much good info regarding "Masters" lifters. I have no idea if there is a Polish translation for that book, but I hope there is.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You are making great gains. Have you thought of taking online coaching?
    Thank you, Carson. I am fortunate enough to have Ness Oszast SSC in Warsaw. She did a live form check in early February and tweaked quite a few things. She taught me the Press 2.0 (I was not letting the bar dip), fixed my bench grip (I was close grip benching without realizing it ) and slowed down the execution of all my lifts. I had, and still sometimes have, a tendency to rush through the reps.

I will do another form check with her soon.
    Last edited by warsawfahve; 04-28-2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    Welcome to the forums, Piotr!! It's great to have you join us

One thing I'll mention, since I see you're 45 (I'm 55, but from a weightlifting point of view, we're both "Masters", i.e. - old). The "program" is understood to perhaps need adjustments for those who are older, so don't beat yourself up (in the metaphorical sense) over needing more than 1 day of rest between workouts. Many of us have modified the program to account for the older individual who requires more than one day off between workouts to recover.

Remember, the whole principal is SRA (stress, recovery, adaptation). If you don't allow for recovery from the stress, you haven't really adapted (yet), and so you're not ready for the next application of stress. And if that makes you miss workouts, then you're even further behind.

There is a lot of accumulated wisdom on these boards, so by all means, please ask questions. We're happy to offer whatever knowledge we have.

And, in addition to Carson's good advice, I'd recommend Dr. Sully's book (the Barbell Prescription), which has much good info regarding "Masters" lifters. I have no idea if there is a Polish translation for that book, but I hope there is.

Bob
    Thank you, Sean. Now that I wrote down my story and had it read by you and other forum members, it feels easier to accept I am not 30 anymore.

What do you think about a schedule of 2 days of rest for the squats and deadlifts, while keeping the presses on the standard schedule? I could press at home and the gym is close enough for me to drop by just for a set of benches. I seem to recover quicker from the presses than from squats and deadlifts.

I will go through the English version of the Barbell Prescription and see if I need to implement more Master-friendly adaptations.

Piotr,

I think your modification might be fine, but with this caveat.... we're all different. So, it's hard for a third person to know if that will work well. But certainly, I would try it for a couple weeks, and then see what you think.

One of the things I've learned in the past couple years is, you have to be flexible and willing to experiment with programming. Be willing to try things, and then, be willing to react and adjust to the data you get from those attempts. Specifically, don't come up with a plan, and then be unwilling to change that plan cause it's not working out. Keep trying until you find something that works.

In my case, it's evolved to one lift a day. So, I workout every day, but only one lift, and then I'm done. So, I repeat the cycle every 5 days. For me, that's working great. But you've got to find what works for you. And by "works", it's got to let you recover before the next "stress" (i.e. workout). When I first started SS, I got over-stressed, and it caused me to stop/miss workouts. Which defeats the purpose. This round, I've gone 80 days, and only missed 7 workouts, so that's not too bad. And none of those were for soreness/overstress, all were for migraines/flu/life getting in the way.

By the way, forgot to mention, I love your account name. Now, I want to know, how do you say "fahve" in Polish?

The Texas "fahve" is inimitable, but the closest would be "piontka" which is a corruption of "piątka" (a five).

I'll test the "1-on-2-off" for the squat/dl and "1-on-1-off" for the presses and report back.

Are you increasing the load each time you lift?

I'm still on my NLP (novice linear progression), so yes. Overhead press may be nearing a limit, so that may be the first lift to get an initial reset. Bench will most likely be next.

starting strength coach development program
    Going through your training log now. Impressive work!