starting strength gym

Thread: maintance on barbell

Default maintance on barbell

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone. I tried searching for this but have come up empty. I am looking to maintain my barbell. I was looking for where it was posted or in a video and have come up empty. I think if I heard correctly a recommendation of gun oil on the bar and in the sleeves\bushings to help them spin. I have a barbell that I wanted to maintain its older but never been used before so I want to make sure its in top shape as I will be starting to lift at home

Jump to ~18 min

Also, brush chalk out of the knurl.

Rogue recommends oiling the bar and knurl, in addition to bushings. This may not be necessary if your bar is indoors. Rip has pointed out that it’s not helpful to lubricate the bar, as we want to be able to get a grip on it.

But if you have a garage gym in a humid or moist climate, oiling the bar may facilitate developing a patina and help avoid rust.

I have used WD-40 to keep the bar clean and dry (would not use it on sleeves/bushings).

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post

Jump to ~18 min
    Thanks I ran across this after posting

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Also, brush chalk out of the knurl.

Rogue recommends oiling the bar and knurl, in addition to bushings. This may not be necessary if your bar is indoors. Rip has pointed out that it’s not helpful to lubricate the bar, as we want to be able to get a grip on it.

But if you have a garage gym in a humid or moist climate, oiling the bar may facilitate developing a patina and help avoid rust.

I have used WD-40 to keep the bar clean and dry (would not use it on sleeves/bushings).
    Thanks for that. I am using what use to be a small tool shed. There is no heat in it currently and I live in NY near the Canadian boarder so it can see some temperature fluctuations.

Good luck, get some good sweats and a watch cap you like.

Some sort of heater may help at times.

I'm a fan of Bar Shield. It's not necessarily better than 3 in 1 or WD-40 (not any worse either), but it's food grade. So if there's an issue with the kids, I don't have to take the time to wash my hands before helping if it's urgent. It is more expensive though, so there is that to weigh. Don't know if that's something that applies to you or not, so it might not even matter.

The SS bar is a little bit different than the B&R bar. It doesn't have the same cap on the end of the bar that allows you to put oil in the crack of the sleeve. Are there any specific recommendations for lubricating the SS bar?

starting strength coach development program
    Apply the oil to the space around the proximal bushing and the distal cap inside the end of the sleeve. Capillarity will carry it in.