starting strength gym

Thread: Weekly coaching assignments question

Default Weekly coaching assignments question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a question about weekly coaching assignments for the SSC Development Program.

During the SSC development program course, how many videos of coaching clients is expected to be submitted by the student?
    Is it one video of each lift per week for example, and also how many clients should a student train? Let's say is 5 different clients over the course of 6 months sufficient or a greater number is expected?

I am asking this questions because I am preparing to start the course soon and I could not find answers to my question.

Also to make things clear I understand that the more people one trains the better, I am interested if there are some goals/numbers that need to be met to finish the course successfully, something that I could find out after signing up for the course.

Hi, Rajtar. The assignments cover teaching the lifts and coaching specific common errors. Since people tend to make more than one of these common errors (eg not bending over enough in the squat, knees sliding forward in the squat) you don't need a one to one to one client:lift:video ratio. Most clients will give you plenty of different things to fix over time. That said, I'll have to think if there is a good minimum to make sure you have before you start. I'll bring this up to the other SSC mentors so they can give input as well.

If you are working with 5 different people at the moment, I think that is a great place to start the course. Some people have started with less and many have started with more. Most of the time only 1 client video is required per assignment. Out of the 15ish coaching videos I've given feedback on, 2 of them I asked for the coach to submit a second video with a different trainee. As Stef explained above the same client can be used for multiple assignments.

There are no goals/numbers of clients that need to be coached to finish the course. The course is structured to prioritize you learning as much as possible related to coaching. The course is not about getting a grade or meeting rigid goals.

Also, if the course creates a sense of urgency or provides you with motivation to reach out and coach more people that's a good thing. I would not be afraid of this possible side effect. Hope this helps Rajtar.

Thank you for your answers, this clarifies a lot.
    I also have a separate question, I was wondering if anyone expressed interest in opening a Starting Strength Gym in Canada, New Zealand or any other country outside of US?

Yes, they have Rajtar, but nothing is in the works. It's a far more complicated deal to do since there are many more layers of legal and logistical barriers. It will be a big deal when something like that goes through and we'll be sure to spread the news far and wide.