starting strength gym

Thread: Back Angle Cues !?

Default Back Angle Cues !?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First timer here. Went to a SSC here in CT about three weeks ago and was the BEST thing I've ever done. I have another coming up next week, but I wanted to see if anyone could give me some pointers on how to maintain my back angle out of the hole, or what else I am doing wrong & what I can do to improve in the meantime (kind of paranoid of getting hurt, and/or just being a whimp). I cue myself to tighten back/whole body, and a huge breathe helps, but am I still relaxing at the bottom?! I don't feel like I am, but that's why I'm seeking some advice...

YouTube

(Three different angles, and sorry for the black shirt but I lightened the video in an editor).

I greatly appreciate anyone that can take the time to comment - so far these forums (and this program) have been amazing for me - I LOVE it & just want to do it RIGHT!

-----------------------
    History (if it matters):
    Been 'working out' for years but bottom line: I can bench more than I can squat - what a bro.

30yr Male
    5'7" (with shoes haha)
    170 lbs (Gained +-5 lbs, trying to eat, eat, eat....eat)
    Since the day with SSC:
    Squat: 95 -> 150
    DL: 185 -> 235
    Press: 60 -> 85
    Bench: [embarrassing that a 3x5 is about half my bodyweight higher than my squat]

Hello. Glad you went and saw Cody. He's good people.

Your stance is too wide here. Bring it in about an inch on either side and you should struggle less with getting and keeping the knees out.
    Then, lean over sooner. You're trying to stay too upright on the way down. Point your nipples at the floor and send the hips back to start.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hello. Glad you went and saw Cody. He's good people.

Your stance is too wide here. Bring it in about an inch on either side and you should struggle less with getting and keeping the knees out.
    Then, lean over sooner. You're trying to stay too upright on the way down. Point your nipples at the floor and send the hips back to start.

Thanks for the quick reply! Cody is awesome - recommending to everyone, including my mom who got in an accident years back and trying to convince her SS > walking on treadmill...

That makes sense, and now that I re-read (again) the squat chapter, seems like a wide stance is making my groin muscles reach the end of their limit early, not giving me the stretch reflex and probably accounting for my hip flexor soreness..? I'll try your recommendations tomorrow and see if that and leaning over sooner will help maintain back angle on the way back up.

Thanks again!!

You are correct about the adductors reaching the end of their extensibility early with a wider stance. There's a few things that can cause hip flexor soreness though, so it may not just be your stance width. Bring it in and see how it goes for a few weeks.

Good luck!