starting strength gym

Thread: Hay fever post nasal drip and cough

Default Hay fever post nasal drip and cough

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have an allergy to tree pollen this time of the year. It results in a really nasty, often exhausting cough which gets worse in response to the pollen count. I have to use an inhaler as it combines to bring on an asthma attack if the cough gets difficult.

My question is in relation to the necessity to cut training intensity/volume on the bad days. Over the last week the pollen has been high and I've spent a great deal of time coughing my lungs up on the stand, but getting the numbers with a bit of a struggle and some additional rest.

I noticed that this week I'm feeling more tired than usual and the last one/two reps have become really difficult-I got them, but just. In the absence of any other obvious issue I can only think that the coughing bouts are causal to the tiredness and tough reps.

Should I cut back a bit on the really bad weeks, or just push on through ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    getting the numbers with a bit of a struggle and some additional rest.

the last one/two reps have become really difficult-I got them, but just.

Should I cut back a bit on the really bad weeks, or just push on through ?
    If it were me, I'd not cut back so long as you get the reps. It's not a systemic infection, which could get worse by training anyway. So, you feel like shit but you do it anyway. Not much different from any other cause that makes you feel weak, tired, sore.

Luckily pollen count is down this week so I no longer sound like a smoker with terminal emphysema. Still missed a rep on bench final set - I was disturbed by someone asking me to call an ambulance for a young woman who had fallen unconscious then started screaming in pain, very off putting.