starting strength gym

Thread: Suggesting equipment for new lifters

Default Suggesting equipment for new lifters

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I am training together with a friend, who is new to lifting, and just has the normal every-day gym goer running shoes. I know that they should, and eventually will, get both, the belt and weightlifting shoes, but which should I recommend them get first? And why?

Thanks!

Shoes first, then belt.

Shoes. Soft, squishy shoes adversely affect every lift. It's better to have them early since complicating the learning process with bad shoes is a handicap no one needs.

Belts are something you grow into. There's usually an easier item to access by borrowing from a fellow lifter or from common gym equipment.

Typical running shoes are about the worst shoes to use for lifting. I'd suggest that he at least look in his closet for something more useful, like boots, deck shoes etc.

Curiously, Michael Wolf has just addressed this. Have a listen: YouTube

Niki Sims also wrote a great article awhile back that may help you and your friend. Might be worth a look.

Lifting Apparel Accessories | Niki Sims

I just started training a neighbor buddy, age 60, in my garage gym. He wanted to pay me in whiskey, which was very tempting, but I told him I was doing this as a long time friend and wanted to get him started correctly. I insisted if he wanted to keep going past the 2nd training session that he buy and read SSBBT 3rd ed, and a pair of decent lifters.

He did both and his shoes will arrive by the session, which will be his 6th. It's gratifying when he quotes from the Squat chapter to me as he's doing his squat warmups and worksheets. Next he'll get a belt, but he's fine using mine for now. I'll let him get me a bottle of whiskey when he squats 185 3x5 next month.

So I saw this thread and I'd like to get a little input if anyone can help. I got the Metcon 5 shoes and used them for the past month at the gym, but I want to make my own setup in the garage (I'd get more hours working out this way). I have a set of Olympic weights my brother used and left behind which I'm satisfied with as I have weights from 2.5 lbs to 45 lbs in the set. But I am stuck on picking the weight bench, I don't want to improvise, I want a professional corner for me at home. I looked for a while now and I found this bench to be quite interesting, but I'd love to hear input from someone more experienced than me. The Best Adjustable Weight Bench Reviews & Comparison
    It's rated to support 300 pounds, that's more than I'll ever need considering that I'm 5'4" and weigh 155 lbs currently. But I just don't want to cheap out or regret my setup later, I really want to get serious with my training. Should I stick with it, or go with a bench that can support less/more?