starting strength gym

Thread: Concept2 restoration/computer retrofit

Default Concept2 restoration/computer retrofit

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Odd question for SS forums but I'm restoring an old Concept2 model B rower that I got for free from a friend. Anyone have any experience retrofitting a bike speedometer to one? My instinct is to mount the magnet on the flywheel and use the flywheel diameter to calculate speed. Of course, this would only give a road-speed equivalent and wouldn't be great for training any erg-specific stuff but would give some objective measurements for use in exercise. Concept2 only sells their ballin PM5 monitor nowadays and I don't feel like dumping $200 on a monitor when I'm just using it to warm-up and maybe do some heart rate zone and WODy stuff from time to time.

Attached some pics of the build progress. Pulled everything apart and cleaned it all thoroughly. Replacing the bungee, installing casters, cleaning the chain and pulleys, etc. Removing the flywheel was a bitch! It's anchored in the cage by integral bearings and you have to get the depths perfect for the flywheel to not rub and the chain to be positioned appropriately. Might pull it apart again and completely strip the arms and refinish them properly. Why not, right?

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice project. You should be able to find some older monitors on eBay. The PM5 is nice as it syncs via bluetooth to your phone for tracking workout data.

Thanks. I may sell it as I have a newer model D. I much prefer the styling of the old model B but it's less convenient for storage (can't stand it upright) and will take a good $250 to get it comparable to the model D. At which point I've blown up its resale value. Believe me, if I had the space, I'd probably sell the model D and upgrade the B. I may just put a cheap cycling speedometer on it so it has something there when I go to sell it.