starting strength gym

Thread: Power clean issue with home gym set up?

Default Power clean issue with home gym set up?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone. I have a home gym that I have been working on for a bit. I am in a position where I have limited time and support at home to make it to a gym so the home gym is the best option for the time being. I have converted a small shed that is about 9ft x 7ft of space. I have a power rack that takes up most of the space. I can do all the barbell movements except the power clean. I was wondering if there was a recommendation on how I could make this work or how to work around the issue? I would like to expand on the area and make a bigger space but not sure when that will be. I am currently deadlifting in my rack but I don't think its wise to power clean inside it.

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by wicat3 View Post
    I am currently deadlifting in my rack but I don't think its wise to power clean inside it.
    IMHE, in terms of space the power Clean doesn't require much more than a deadlift. Apart from some minor bending in the trajectory during the aerial phase, the bar simply goes up and down, with not much fore/aft movement.
    So if you can deadlift in the rack, you can probably power clean too, although the presence of the uprights might make you feel constrained. In that case, you could simply clean outside the rack; 7ft are plenty.

The only possible issues is when the weight is very heavy and you might have to take a step, or even two, to stabilise after racking the bar. If this happens, you can simply bail out and let go of the bar, although I think it will be a pretty rare occourence.

I would say give it a try, you might be surprised.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hello,

IMHE, in terms of space the power Clean doesn't require much more than a deadlift. Apart from some minor bending in the trajectory during the aerial phase, the bar simply goes up and down, with not much fore/aft movement.
    So if you can deadlift in the rack, you can probably power clean too, although the presence of the uprights might make you feel constrained. In that case, you could simply clean outside the rack; 7ft are plenty.

The only possible issues is when the weight is very heavy and you might have to take a step, or even two, to stabilise after racking the bar. If this happens, you can simply bail out and let go of the bar, although I think it will be a pretty rare occourence.

I would say give it a try, you might be surprised.

IPB
    I was thinking breaking down my Power rack and using it like a crossfit setup with the uprights and spotter arms. This would free up more room to power clean but I could try it in the power rack first and see if its worth it.