starting strength gym

Thread: First time deadlift check

Default First time deadlift check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First time poster and new to the forum. 32 yo female, 5’7”, about 145 (I haven’t weighed myself in a few months - but that’s my normal, maybe down to 140 sometimes.)

I’d like some feedback on my overall form and what my strength goals should be for my body type, age, etc. A lot of material feels like it’s geared towards young men, so it’s difficult for me to know how heavy I can/should be lifting.

Deadlift YouTube

This is at 185lb. I feel pretty confident increasing from here. Never failed a deadlift since mid-December so I guess I’m still in LP for this one.

I’m making separate posts for squat, deadlift, and press. When I do my next bench workout I’ll get a video. Background below will be the same on all posts.

Background (if this helps and you care to keep reading):
    I started learning the Starting Strength method in Oct 2018 with reading the book and doing training sessions with Carrie Klumpar (Eastside S&C in Bellevue, WA). Learned a lot and did about 10 sessions with her spaced out until Feb 2019. Mostly in LP but just on my own for programming. Since then I’ve gone back to work full time (after being a stay at home mom) so I can’t train with her and I’ve been maintaining and trying to figure out a new rhythm.

I’m trying to balance training with rock climbing -- so I’m either lifting 2X a week on weeks when I climb, or doing 3X a week on weeks I don’t climb. I don’t want to lose my rock climbing calluses/muscles so this is an important balance for me. I can’t really get away to the gym more than 3X a week (rock climbing or lifting). With that said, my upper body lifts haven’t really progressed a ton - so I’m thinking this inconsistency could be to blame.

I sleep 7-8 hours a night. I have not tracked protein, so I’m probably lacking there honestly - maybe I’m at 100g a day? I’m not trying to get huge, just to progress a little more.

Not a coach, but: overall, looks pretty darn good to me. You've been coached well. Your hips rose up before the bar left the ground on rep 3. No need to crank the lockout like in rep 5. Thought audio might let me hear you exhale at the top, which you should only do at the bottom, so not sure.

What should your strength goals be? Do 5s until you no longer can. Don't pre-set limits on your goals at this point. You can lift more than you think.

I can't speak to integrating barbell training and rock climbing.

Here's an update if you anyone cares to comment on form. I had my first slow deadlift grind at this weight (200lb) on the previous workout. Kept the same weight 2 days later and it felt so much smoother, so much so that I had to triple check my math to make sure it was 200lb. Here's the video: YouTube