starting strength gym

Thread: Outdoor gym setup and equipment

Default Outdoor gym setup and equipment

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't have space in my house for a home gym setup. I want to move outdoors with a rack and barbell. I wish I had a garage or shed for this, but I don't. Thinking of just setting up a rack under some type of canopy. Anyone have experience doing something similar? Rep Fitness makes a 1000 pound rack. Recommended by Art of Manliness. Is that a good one or should I consider another? Basic barbell and weights from Dicks Sporting Goods seems to be the best price for barbell and weights. Okay?

Rep fitness makes solid stuff for the price. I'm a fan. That being said, on their racks I'd consider the 3000 or 5000 series instead of the 1000. If it fits your budget, I'd also check out racks from Rogue Fitness.

I would not get a bar from Dick's. This is the most important piece of equipment to not cheap out on. Rogue, Texas Power Bars, and Vulcan Strength are my main bar picks and Rep for a low cost pick. Normally I'd recommend either the Starting Strength Bar from Texas Power Bars or the B&R Bar from Rogue, but if your setup is outside they will have a hard time since they are bare steel. I'd probably go with the Rep Fitness Stainless Power Bar. It's not at the top of my list in general, but it's got a medium knurl good build quality and will resist corrosion while being a good price.

Plates from Dick's are fine. Only concern there is accuracy of weight vs labeled value.

I have two things I can add to this. If you are looking to do this outside you might want to look into one of those portable car tents. They are fairly cheap and sold at most Walmart's and tractor supplies. They are pretty roomy. I had a classic truck and no garage so I built a base and put some blocks to put the car port on to lift it up to make the height of the truck and the platform. I think I spent $500 to build everything. It might be a lot to start with but its an idea you can slowly build on. As for the rack I have a Titan T3 rack. Its like a rogue R3 just made in China. It has been great to lift in and I find it affordable. Would I prefer a Rogue rack, Yes, but I couldn't afford it at the time and the Rack has good reviews by many people. The other thing I have done is gone to tag sales and yard sales. I have only bought micro plates and 2.5 lbs plates. Everything else thus far have been bought used or given to me.

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by RBstrength View Post
    Thinking of just setting up a rack under some type of canopy. Anyone have experience doing something similar?
    I live in a block of flats and train on my terrace. Above me, it's the terrace from the neighbour above. I use a big plastic tarpaulin to cover the wooden platform when the forecast is for rain, otherwise the part that is closest to the edge of the terrace gets wet (how much, depends on intensity of rain and wind direction). I don't cover my uprights, as they sit away from the edge, well under the roof; also, they are aluminum, so they don't care getting wet anyway.

Apart from when it's really raining with strong wind, I can train in any condition; depending on the size of your canopy, and climate of your area, you might be able to do the same.

Hope this helps, good luck with your training.

IPB

The plates that I had from Dick's weren't the right circumference which affects the range of motion for the deadlift. I eventually wound up swapping them out for York.

Quote Originally Posted by RBstrength View Post
    I don't have space in my house for a home gym setup. I want to move outdoors with a rack and barbell. I wish I had a garage or shed for this, but I don't. Thinking of just setting up a rack under some type of canopy. Anyone have experience doing something similar? Rep Fitness makes a 1000 pound rack. Recommended by Art of Manliness. Is that a good one or should I consider another? Basic barbell and weights from Dicks Sporting Goods seems to be the best price for barbell and weights. Okay?
    Your post and the responses got me brainstorming a bit. Where do you live? What's the climate like? What is your budget? What type of outdoor space do you have available (existing concrete slab, etc...)?

starting strength coach development program
    I have my platform and rack in a car tent on a gravel pad. Elevating your platform is a must. Use small pier blocks or the like but keep the height of platform low or you will contact the roof of the tent while doing overhead work. Metal fab is part of my job so I used left over 4x4x3/16 HSS tube we had around the shop to build my platform base then the usual plywood and stall mats. I also have a B+R bar that I neglect for long periods of time. It has a great patina on the shaft and the sleeves do get a little surface rust now and then. I live in South West BC and it rains here a lot. I am happy with set up.

Warren