starting strength gym

Thread: Dumbbells

Default Dumbbells

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been adding a lot more DB accessory movements but find myself in a dilemma.
    Here's what I've picked up over the last 5 years:
    DB sets of 20, 35, 50
    1 old CAP EZ bar - standard
    Standard CAP plates: 4x10, 2x5

So here's my questions:

1) What is a reasonable DB weight range of equipment I might need? 100lbs per DB is my thought. I'm 45, been lifting for 2 years and am running Andy's Strength/Mass over 40 program.
    2) Has anybody had much success with changeable DB handles? I can pick up a set for $200 on amazon that takes me to 100 lb per side. See's reasonable and doesn't take up as much garage space as having DB's lying around everywhere.

It's a garage gym, in Houston with lots of rust.....

Thoughts?

I have the ones you're talking about from amazon. Couple sets because I train in different locations. The two sets are different brands but basically the same (slight difference on diameter and thickness of plates).

They are ok. The collars don't stay as secure as I'd like, you need to tighten frequently. Mine are also in hot, humid, Houston garage and I haven't had a bit of trouble with rust (they are 3-4 years old). I also have 5 sets of "pro style" dumbbell handles of different lengths (also amazon) with 20 10's, 4 5's and 4-2.5's. These are better to use but cost more and are a bit more trouble to change (need an allen wrench). That combo of plates gets you every combination from 5-100. My ultimate plan is to keep collecting pancake plates from garage sales and buying additional handles on amazon until i have a full set 5-100.