starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back pain

Default Lower back pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

Ok, first a bit of context: I'm 45, have a desk job, started doing the programme about four weeks ago, and have made reasonable progress. Originally I started with very light weights (e.g. 20kg on the squat) because I wanted to get the techniques right, plus I've not done exercise for a while, and my age. About 2.5 weeks after starting I upped the weight quite a bit and my squat has moved up to 62.5kg, and the deadlift to 60kg (on last Friday, the 31st).

However, whilst the squat was fine and the deadlift felt pretty solid, my lower back got a bit upset. I hoped it would settle over the weekend, but in my session today I only managed one set on the squat before bailing out - prudence before valour, etc. I did the bench press, but obviously skipped the deadlift.

So, the question is...should I skip the squat and deadlift for a week or so (however long until the lower back feels ok again), or should I do them but aggressively reduce the weight (i.e. to 30kg for the squat, for example) so I keep things moving but hopefully without aggreviating the problem?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

"Upset" is too vague for specific advice. I find that many lower back pains give way to stretching it & rolling the area with a foam roller or some sort of hard ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_M View Post
    Hi,

Ok, first a bit of context: I'm 45, have a desk job, started doing the programme about four weeks ago, and have made reasonable progress. Originally I started with very light weights (e.g. 20kg on the squat) because I wanted to get the techniques right, plus I've not done exercise for a while, and my age. About 2.5 weeks after starting I upped the weight quite a bit and my squat has moved up to 62.5kg, and the deadlift to 60kg (on last Friday, the 31st).

However, whilst the squat was fine and the deadlift felt pretty solid, my lower back got a bit upset. I hoped it would settle over the weekend, but in my session today I only managed one set on the squat before bailing out - prudence before valour, etc. I did the bench press, but obviously skipped the deadlift.

So, the question is...should I skip the squat and deadlift for a week or so (however long until the lower back feels ok again), or should I do them but aggressively reduce the weight (i.e. to 30kg for the squat, for example) so I keep things moving but hopefully without aggreviating the problem?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
    Took me 6 weeks for my back to not ache. Then it has felt awesome ever since.