starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Injury, Bench Press Pain

Default Shoulder Injury, Bench Press Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The week before last my shoulder hurt while bench pressing on Wednesday . The pain was there during my warmup and continued throughout the workset. I think it actually felt slightly better at working weight. The pain is on the front of my shoulder, Where my fingers are on the attached image. There was no acute injury that I can identify. I benched again the following Monday (last week). I hit my weights but had the same pain. It's only when benching or doing pushups. Presses don't bother it, and it doesn't really bother me throughout the day. I also happened to strain my neck last Monday, so I took some ibuprofen and didn't lift on Wednesday or Friday. My neck is better and with a week off, I was hoping my shoulder would feel better. While warming up I tried to do some pushups and had the same issue. Today was press day so I didn't try to bench, but if a single pushup hurt I'm sure I'll have the same issue Wednesday. It doesn't hurt so bad that I can't push through it, but I don't want to hurt myself further. I'm not even sure what's wrong. Time to see a doctor? Take a longer break from benching? Maybe a potential form issue I need to look into?

20190527_222557.jpg

So I switched from bench to incline press for a few weeks pain free, then I was out of the gym for a month or two. I'm lifting again and am still having the same issue while bench pressing. At this point I don't think I'd even call it pain, more of an odd sensation that just doesn't feel right. It feels like it's where my pec muscle goes into the shoulder. Not sure what I should do, but I think I'm going to keep bench pressing unless it gets bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Geoghegan View Post
    So I switched from bench to incline press for a few weeks pain free, then I was out of the gym for a month or two. I'm lifting again and am still having the same issue while bench pressing. At this point I don't think I'd even call it pain, more of an odd sensation that just doesn't feel right. It feels like it's where my pec muscle goes into the shoulder. Not sure what I should do, but I think I'm going to keep bench pressing unless it gets bad.
    It's kind of interesting that you traded the bench for another lift without first getting a form check to make sure you were bench pressing correctly. That should normally be your first response.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    It's kind of interesting that you traded the bench for another lift without first getting a form check to make sure you were bench pressing correctly. That should normally be your first response.

Prior to this shoulder pain I had done a couple of sessions with a starting strength coach. I didn't have any major issues with my bench, mostly worked adding leg drive. I'll try to video myself anyways to see if any form issues have creeped in.