starting strength gym

Thread: Ab tear or hernia?

Default Ab tear or hernia?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last week i did my presses and deadlifts, on wednesday. Had a tight belt, especially on the press. Maybe some lower back rounding on a DL rep. After a couple of hours i started having some pain on an area of the lower abs, (where inguinal hernias develop, but a little above). I went to the doc and he said that i was fine. On Monday i did my presses again, looser belt, because i learned my lesson, and the pain came again. Then some chin ups and the same. Squats don't cause me any pain, surprisingly. Yesterday i had a bit of a burning sensation on the area , pain while standing up or sit-up motions, coughing, etc. The pain is located where spigelian hernias develop. So i went to another doctor, and he checked me and said that i'm fine, that it is probably a muscle tear. He recommended me to take at least the rest of the week (away from the gym), gave me a receipt for some drugs and recomended getting an ultra sound. I really dont want to pay for that ultra sound but i guess i'll have too. Btw, i don't have any noticeable bulge, it can't be seen or felt. As i expect, if it's an ab tear, the Starr Rehab Protocol with DL's is the way to go.

I gave zero fucks and went to the gym even though the doctor advised me not to. I did light squats, benches and deadlifts, and even a couple of chinups. That means the problem was in the press, and now i remember that while i was grinding a rep the pain appeared again, just not so big and not too limiting. It stayed for a while and went away. The same could have happened on wednesday. And damn, now i remember that day i had some mineral water after i trained. It could have fucked me up. However, i have an appointment for tomorrow at 12:00pm. Should i cancel it? Or is it worth checking? I mean, if it's nothing i could spend that money on PPST or something like that. If anyone cares enough to respond, well, you should do it now. If not, things will sort out by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Herrera View Post
    And damn, now i remember that day i had some mineral water after i trained. It could have fucked me up. However, i have an appointment for tomorrow at 12:00pm. Should i cancel it? Or is it worth checking?
    You'd better keep the appointment. Just to rule out the mineral water.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You'd better keep the appointment. Just to rule out the mineral water.
    might need to add this to that old favorite (priceless) Rip quotes thread