starting strength gym

Thread: Back to it.

Default Back to it.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I recently decided to cut weight from 198lb to 192lb due to having a 40" waist. Ive learned the hard way. What strength i had built has vanished. I have decided to run LP again and get my calories back up and get strong first. Do this form look ok to progress forward. First session back on LP, 100kg 3x5 (3rd set shown). Safe to say they felt extremely heavy but once carbs come back should get easier. Also, any reason why my lumbar gets a sharp pain when bracing before I squat? Appreciate any feedback/help

YouTube

I am struggling with getting into extension by looking back on this video. I feel like i am in extension when i get under the bar and unrack it and stand upright with it but when i descend it does not look like i am in hard extension. Also the pain i feel when i brace is a sharp pain around my lumber sacrum area when i take a big breath and squeeze my abs. Its very off putting because its right before im due to descend. Does my back look set correctly and if not a any tips/cues i could try. I heard one cue of "put your shoulder blades in your back pockets" but that makes me think over extension.

Your back is in extension.

I don’t really see a ton of flexion in your upper back (and see above comment by Rip), but if you don’t think you’re setting it good enough try thinking of “proud chest” before you descend. Also, stop looking at your feet, which you gravitate towards on some of these reps.

So do these look ok form wise Rip? And is it just a case of putting the work in and getting strong. Is there anything major i need to work on?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    but if you don’t think you’re setting it good enough try thinking of “proud chest” before you descend.
    To most American English speakers, the term "proud" is not particularly descriptive of thoracic extension. These squats are pretty good. Go up 5 pounds.