starting strength gym

Thread: Kansas City/Johnson County Gym

Default Kansas City/Johnson County Gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a newbie to strength training, and I noticed that there are no SSC's in the Kansas City Metro area. I was wondering if there are any gyms that other Kansas City people use.

I am a current member of a local commercial-style gym in Overland Park, KS. Their trainers are absolutely hell-bent on keeping the back vertical while squatting, so I have ruled them out (and they were saying that they would split the workouts up by arms/legs/chest/back...)

I'll probably be submitting form checks on my squat soon (not sure if I am going deep enough,meaning that i'm probably doing a half-squat but haven't video'ed myself to know for sure), but it would be nice to have someone look at my form and give real-time feedback.

Besides feedback, it would be nice to get to know some people that are training the same style.

I'm in Johnson County and had looked for a coach and place to train when I got started a couple years back. I'd never done barbell training before and wanted to test the waters a bit before jumping in. I had contact with a few people that specialized in coaching barbell lifts, but ultimately didn't feel confident I'd be getting solid form feedback. I ended up just buying a power rack and barbell/weight set for my basement, and watched a bunch of videos. I eventually found a guy on these forums who was in KC and thinking of becoming a SSC, and I paid him to come to my house a few times. That was helpful, although it looks like he's not active here anymore. I also eventually made it to Omaha for a couple sessions with Phil Meggers when I was on weekend trips up there. That was a good experience, and I'd definitely recommend trying to get there to see him. If I were doing it over, I would have tried to get up there even earlier in the process, as I'm sure I wasted time and spun my wheels quite a bit in trying to figure things out on my own.

I'm in south Overland Park near 159th and 69 Hwy. I'm not an SSC yet, but it would be great to meet with others interested in SS.

I'm heading to Wichita Falls in December 2019 for Rip's Starting Strength Seminar if anyone else is going.

Nikki Burman's bio says she is "Currently living in Leavenworth, KS for the next year." No idea when it was updated.

Nikki is indeed in Leavenworth. Thanks for the heads up!

Your best bet in Olathe would be SunPoint Fitness. Below are some links to other "good" KC barbell gyms but you are going to have to drive into the city. Also check out some of the area Crossfit gyms, some have "open hours" where you can do your own thing.

#1 Gym in Olathe | Virtual Tour of SunPoint

Home • Kansas City Barbell

The Ultimate Training Facility in Kansas City | Olympic Gym

starting strength coach development program
    F*ck it... I'm gonna build one in Overland Park. Went looking for space this afternoon after returning from the Starting Strength Seminar in Wichita Falls.

Besides Nikki who else is in or near KC or OP that wants to coach???