starting strength gym

Thread: Oberst says don't deadlift

Default Oberst says don't deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Robert is a pretty strong guy, what do you think about is claim that regular people shouldn't deadlift?

Most People Shouldn't Deadlift, Strongman Robert Oberst Tells Joe Rogan - BarBend

Deadlifts are not inherently dangerous, maybe the most useful exercise (especially for the 60+ population), and are often the first exercise I use for helping people rehab following a low back tweak doing something else. I did not listen to the podcast and am not going to, so it may be that this article is taking a claim said entirely out of context. At face value, we entirely disagree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrong View Post
    Robert is a pretty strong guy, what do you think about is claim that regular people shouldn't deadlift?

Most People Shouldn't Deadlift, Strongman Robert Oberst Tells Joe Rogan - BarBend
    He never says "regular people shouldn't deadlift". That is a misquote.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    He never says "regular people shouldn't deadlift". That is a misquote.
    I had a feeling that this might be the case.
    Last edited by Nick D'Agostino; 07-11-2019 at 06:35 PM.

I've seen that video, ironically he seems to have fallen victim to the same logical fallacy he's exacerbating. It's like a chain reaction of bad conclusions. He thinks "NFL guys don't do deadlifts, better cut it out of the program". Regular people think "big huge power lifter guy doesn't do deadlifts, better cut it out of the program". Rogan has had some weird guests on in the past when it comes to training advice. There was one guy who was swearing up and down the best workout you could get was this goofy routine he'd do with a heavy cinder block where he'd swing it around between his legs passing it from one hand to another, and actually classified deadlifts as a "glamor lift". Rogan himself even made a case for this weird exercise called a "turkish getup" that I'd never even heard of before.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I've seen that video, ironically he seems to have fallen victim to the same logical fallacy he's exacerbating. It's like a chain reaction of bad conclusions. He thinks "NFL guys don't do deadlifts, better cut it out of the program". Regular people think "big huge power lifter guy doesn't do deadlifts, better cut it out of the program". Rogan has had some weird guests on in the past when it comes to training advice. There was one guy who was swearing up and down the best workout you could get was this goofy routine he'd do with a heavy cinder block where he'd swing it around between his legs passing it from one hand to another, and actually classified deadlifts as a "glamor lift". Rogan himself even made a case for this weird exercise called a "turkish getup" that I'd never even heard of before.
    There is a relatively large and fast-growing thread in Rips Q&A forum about this that he linked to in the above post. You should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I came across one about dumping a bunch of dumbells into a swimming pool and doing a bunch of underwater lifts. Because its anaerobic and builds strength or something.
    And a lot of RPE shit.
    I still click on the stupid links and listen for as much as I can stand, but I don't think I've come across one sensible guest in regards to training.

from

starting strength coach development program
    Joe has a good show, but he just doesn't understand this shit.