starting strength gym

Thread: New Bar and Plates.

Default New Bar and Plates.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been using shitty old Standard plates that range from +/- 3 lbs over the 10 45's, w/ inner and outer diameters all over the place.

Looking into these for 45's & 25's:

Elite Olympic Bumper Plates | Black | LB | Outfit your Home or Garage gym with these Bumper Plates!

The change plates I have are accurate enough. Not sure I'll really ever be too serious about any of the fast lifts, but these Competition Bumpers are quiet, easier on other equipment and are supposed to be +/- 20 grams w/ tight diameter tolerances.

Current bar is a Rogue B&R bar, which I like (love the knurling) but am considering giving away to family, so looking to replace it with this:

Starting Strength Bars | Made by Texas Power Bars | Powerlifting Barbell & Bars

A plus for me is the slightly smaller diameter also (easier to hook-grip).

Opinions on these two products?

I have the Titan Fitness elite bumper plates and love them. Can’t beat the price and am very happy with the quality. Know a few people who use the SS bar and are happy with it. I use the Rogue Ohio Power Bar and think it’s the best bar I’ve used. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JDemboski View Post
    I have the Titan Fitness elite bumper plates and love them. Can’t beat the price and am very happy with the quality. Know a few people who use the SS bar and are happy with it. I use the Rogue Ohio Power Bar and think it’s the best bar I’ve used. Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply! I just ordered the plates and a new storage tree for them. I like to hook grip pretty much any type of pull and am considering some power/split cleans and snatches down the road, so I think I'll stick with the more general purpose & smaller diameter B&R. To my surprise I haven't ripped open any callouses w/ the older York / Rogue B&R + w/ chalk the bar really stays put. Here's to hoping the knurling on the newer model is as good.

I was about to pull the trigger on some Troy Premium cast-iron plates but then ran into the Titan Elite Bumpers. When all is said and done those didn't seem to make as much sense as about 10% per pound more for some quality bumpers.

My B&R 2.0 is 28.8mm while the Starting Strength Bar from Capps is 28.3mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks Rip. I had the nomenclature of the bars mixed up a bit earlier.. I have the original B&R, not B&R 2.0 and meant the Capps bar in my last post.

Just placed an order for the Starting Strength bar and am looking forward to putting it to some good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I know for the Aasgaard stuff it is better for you if we order directly from this site rather than amazon. Is there anything similar for the SS bar? I assume not as you've link directly to the Texas Power Bar site when mentioning the bar, but wanted to double check before ordering.

We don't sell the bars here. You have to order from Capps Welding.

Default Very happy w/ this equipment (Titan Elite Bumpers and Capps Starting Strength Bar).

starting strength coach development program
    Bar: Starting Strength Bars | Made by Texas Power Bars | Powerlifting Barbell & Bars.
    - Perfectly straight as far as I can tell.
    - Nice, smooth and easy spin with 45's on, and consistent on either side.
    - Knurling is great. It's a little 'sharper' than the B&R 1.0. Probably a good thing: With the B&R 1.0, adding enough chalk to keep things dry could interfere a bit w/ how effective the knurling would otherwise be if it were a bit 'sharper' (on hot and humid days for example).
    - Weighed in at 44.1 on my digital bathroom scale. The +0.1 may be an artifact of the scale (see below).
    - With my cheap mechanical micrometer, the diameter of the knurling right outside the smooth was 28.5mm as near as I could measure and read.
    - Fit and finish was great. Very nice looking.
    - So far I think this is the best all-around bar I've ever used. Definitely the best I've ever owned.
    - Packaging: The container was thick and rigid enough to prevent damage. The tube didn't have end-caps when it arrived so most likely the ends of the bar slipped out on either side during handling. No scuffs or anything though.

Plates: Elite Olympic Bumper Plates | Black | LB | Outfit your Home or Garage gym with these Bumper Plates!.
    - All of the 45's, 35's and 25's weighed in at face-value + 0.1 on my digital bathroom scale. The 10's were both 10.0 (I bought the 230lb set plus some added 45's b/c cheaper and I don't mind using 35's).
    - Fit on bar is great, and consistent.
    - Outer diameter seems very consistent for all.
    - They do indeed appear to be round - no flat spots, etc. based on my use so far.
    - Finish is definitely good enough if you care about that (they would probably look about as good as a set of black plates could in a downstairs family room type of setup, or a gym).
    - It was a pleasure doing pulls with them compared to the out-of-round cast-iron set I had. Didn't have to coax the bar into position and then rush the setup -- turns out my floor and horse mats probably are pretty close to level. Also easier to un/load b/c of the consistent diameter, and I could do warm-up sets w/o collars without the plates rattling and sliding around. Much easier to tighten the chain to avoid "jerking" the initial pull off the floor. With the old plates I would always get a lot of plate rattle no matter what I did, even with tight (albeit cheap) collars.
    - Pleasure doing Squats and Bench w/ them as well, for the same reasons. Benching was especially better w/ these plates as I don't use collars for safety reasons; plates didn't rattle and slide outwards during the set.
    - Packaging: Everything came in individual boxes, protective and secure enough for the LTL shipping Titan uses.

Plate Storage Tree: Titan Fitness Olympic 2" Weight Plate Rack Tree & Barbell Holder Organizer Stand.
    - Adequate to the task for a home gym.
    - Good fit and finish.
    - Easy to assemble.
    - Packaging was fine.

Might as well add the other major piece of the home gym I'll be using those with.. Purchased this one a few years ago.

Rack: Titan Steel Power Rack for Squats, Pull-ups, Deadlifts, and Strength Training.
    - Overall am happy with this rack, especially for the price.
    - Haven't run into any show-stoppers with it, it has held up well for my purposes.