starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was I getting a hernia or something else?

Default Was I getting a hernia or something else?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Went from 185 squat to 240 with no troubles, around 240 on the last rep on the last set i got a burning hot sort of sensation/pain like 2 inches above my dick and 2-3 inches to the left, not sure what else to call that. 245 last set I got that same burning sensation but on the whole last set. I pushed through it but obviously knew something was fucked up.

I think it was a hernia developing from keeping my belt on too tight but I'm not sure what else it could be. No strength loss or changes to anything, just that pain when I squat heavy with a belt.

Tried to do 250, the first set I was just waiting the whole time for the pain and just couldn't focus, and I felt in on a 225 warmup. I even tried loosening my belt but still couldn't really focus on the lift because I was just waiting for the burning sensation.

So far I dropped down to 225 and stopped using a belt, jumped to 235 which felt great and planning on jumping to 245 before switching back to 5 point jumps. Should I be worried and take a week off/see a doctor or am I fine just not using a belt?

Tlr: Squatting heavy gives me a hot burning sensation in my left upper groin area with a belt, should I just not use a belt or find a doctor?

Certainly, the most prudent course of action is to see a physician.

I mean I don't feel it squatting without a belt, I'll see how the 10 pound jump back to 245 feels and I've never felt it outside of using a belt. Were you being sarcastic or do I actually need to see a doctor lol, I've heard hernia surgery shit takes weeks to heal.

Hernias come from your parents, not from your belt. If you think you have a hernia, see a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedpayn View Post
    I mean I don't feel it squatting without a belt, I'll see how the 10 pound jump back to 245 feels and I've never felt it outside of using a belt. Were you being sarcastic or do I actually need to see a doctor lol, I've heard hernia surgery shit takes weeks to heal.
    A strangulated hernia will make you realize very quickly, indeed, that I was not being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hernias come from your parents, not from your belt. If you think you have a hernia, see a doctor.
    But, if you do have one of these congenital or genetic hernias, you should become more aware of it if you create higher internal pressure by wearing a belt. Correct?

My hernia was both enlarged and aggravated while not wearing a belt. Read:

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Alright so 1. what kind of doctor do I go to? It also will prob take a little bit before I can get to one if a general clinic won't work so for now I'll just keep training without a belt for a month or so and see if I can use the belt again.
    2. Also, I'm pretty sure all that the doc will do is touch up my balls and tell me I don't have a hernia because theirs no protrusion, do I just not use a belt if he says that?

A General Practitioner / Family Medicine Physician / Physician’s Assistant / Family Nurse Practitioner, all should be able to diagnose a hernia from physical exam.

#2 - Pretty sure a clinician is not going to “just touch your balls”. They are going to perform a physical exam, namely looking for palpation of the painful area, or common locations of hernias to elicit a “bag of worms” feeling. Trust me when I say this, I sincerely hate doing this shit more than you hate having it done to you. I wonder if people realize that this type of attitude by patients is why clinicians fucking hate their jobs most of the time.

My recommendation stands. I have no good explanation for why you have a hot burning sensation around your groin. I would like to have that diagnosed. My recommendation is to have it evaluated. After that, you are going to have to make your own decisions.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedpayn View Post
    so for now I'll just keep training without a belt for a month or so and see if I can use the belt again.
    Excellent idea! Good luck with your training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast