• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    30 y/o, 5’10”, 189
    4 months on program
    Sq 305 3x5
    DL 325 1x5
    Pr 140 3x5
    BP 200 3x5

I have a separated shoulder. It did not heal well and it causes some shoulder instability. In particular, it makes it very difficult to get set and stay set in the bench press. Then, it feels like it can’t come forward once I’m at the bottom and begin to push the bar up off of my chest.

It became particularly noticeable after 190 lbs. I’m currently at 205 and missing reps. The thing is, I’m still moving the bar fine with my good shoulder, but on the right side (the bum side) it won’t go.

A long time ago a PT told me to do exercises that strengthen the rotator cuff and the rear deltoid. Some of these were exercises I had done as I was doing anything the internet told me to do. Some of them were exercises I’d only seen in the context of shoulder PT.

Are there any exercises the SS method recommends for helping shoulder stability? Particularly, if that PT was right (10 years ago) and I do need to strengthen the rear shoulder and or back muscles?

On a side note, the press does not hurt, nor has it been a problem. However, sometimes at the top it feels a little unstable. It’s almost like my humerus is slipping a little in the shoulder socket at lockout. Again, doesn’t hurt and am able to press pretty well. Tried my 1 rep for shits and giggles and pressed 160. It was ugly, but it didn’t hurt my shoulder at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hill.1338@osu.edu View Post
    30 y/o, 5’10”, 189
    4 months on program
    Sq 305 3x5
    DL 325 1x5
    Pr 140 3x5
    BP 200 3x5

I have a separated shoulder. It did not heal well and it causes some shoulder instability. In particular, it makes it very difficult to get set and stay set in the bench press. Then, it feels like it can’t come forward once I’m at the bottom and begin to push the bar up off of my chest.

It became particularly noticeable after 190 lbs. I’m currently at 205 and missing reps. The thing is, I’m still moving the bar fine with my good shoulder, but on the right side (the bum side) it won’t go.

A long time ago a PT told me to do exercises that strengthen the rotator cuff and the rear deltoid. Some of these were exercises I had done as I was doing anything the internet told me to do. Some of them were exercises I’d only seen in the context of shoulder PT.

Are there any exercises the SS method recommends for helping shoulder stability? Particularly, if that PT was right (10 years ago) and I do need to strengthen the rear shoulder and or back muscles?

On a side note, the press does not hurt, nor has it been a problem. However, sometimes at the top it feels a little unstable. It’s almost like my humerus is slipping a little in the shoulder socket at lockout. Again, doesn’t hurt and am able to press pretty well. Tried my 1 rep for shits and giggles and pressed 160. It was ugly, but it didn’t hurt my shoulder at all.
    Unless you had a fairly rare type of AC Joint Separation, if the injury is more than about 3 months old, it is unlikely to be causing your issues. There is really nothing about the AC Joint that would provide instability in the top position of the press, since the top position in the press causes dynamic stabilization by closing the AC Joint. The increased muscle activation at the top of the press causes the stability you need, and you probably get almost zero percent of the stability from the superior / inferior acromioclavicular ligaments.

I would be willing to bet your "shoulder instability" has more to do with a previously undiagnosed labral pathology, but a video of your bench would be really helpful here.
    To answer the questions about the PT recommendations: I'm a PT and I virtually never prescribe "shoulder RTC strengthening exercises". I only do so when someone isn't capable or willing to bench and overhead press. There just isn't any way to load these small movements in such a way to actually build strength like a properly loaded bench and overhead press can do.