starting strength gym

Thread: Cerebral palsy and extreme shoulder inflexibility

Default Cerebral palsy and extreme shoulder inflexibility

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi SS,
    I have a client with CP that causes his left shoulder to be extremely internally rotated.
    He says he's seen PTs for years, but he seems interested in doing something more fun and challenging than PT exercises.
    His deadlift is pretty darn good but, for squats, getting a bar on his back at all seems to be unlikely.
    Last session, we tried high bar with a widest possible grip--like almost straight arms to the side--but that was still too much to ask from his left side. After our session, I thought we could try flopping his wrists over the bar, bc left wrist tightness might be the most inhibiting factor. But haven't tried this yet.
    The other option I'm considering but haven't tried--because I've never taught or done them-- are cross-arms front squats (the front rack position is also not available to his ROM right now) .
    The press is also issue but my gym's lightest bar is still too heavy so we'll be on dumbbells for some time first.

Thanks.

What is your question?

Sounds like he needs to use a safety squat bar if the situation is that bad.

I think it would be helpful to know what type of CP this person has. There are many forms of CP, which is all dependent on where the anoxic brain injury was. How I would approach this with someone with spastic diplegia would be completely different than it they had dystonic or ataxic CP.

Quote Originally Posted by Livi View Post
    Hi SS,
    I have a client with CP that causes his left shoulder to be extremely internally rotated.
    He says he's seen PTs for years, but he seems interested in doing something more fun and challenging than PT exercises.
    His deadlift is pretty darn good but, for squats, getting a bar on his back at all seems to be unlikely.
    Last session, we tried high bar with a widest possible grip--like almost straight arms to the side--but that was still too much to ask from his left side. After our session, I thought we could try flopping his wrists over the bar, bc left wrist tightness might be the most inhibiting factor. But haven't tried this yet.
    The other option I'm considering but haven't tried--because I've never taught or done them-- are cross-arms front squats (the front rack position is also not available to his ROM right now) .
    The press is also issue but my gym's lightest bar is still too heavy so we'll be on dumbbells for some time first.

Thanks.
    I have been working with a client with CP for a year now. Her left arm and foot are the most affected. We deadlift from the floor no problem too. She uses a cambered bar to squat with and once her squat gets up to around 55-60, I plan to use the Safety Bar with her. The cambered bar weighs 25 pounds. She handles it beautifully. We bench press and do landmine presses. I have a video about her training coming out soon. Be sure to look out for it. If you want to send me your email, I can let you know once it is out. Her training may give you a few ideas to use with your client.

My email is emily@fivex3.com.

Emily

Livi, Emily's video was posted 10/21.

Have a look

starting strength coach development program
    Do the cross-arms front squats, it won't be that difficult for you to learn the exercise and teach it either. Then, you should consider, if possible, to acquire a lighter bar for him to exercise with.