starting strength gym

Thread: Columbus Ohio: Strength Training Gym and coaching.

Default Columbus Ohio: Strength Training Gym and coaching.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Are there any recommendations for a good strength coach or powerlifting gym in Columbus Ohio? I am a native Texan, I see that a starting strength Houston was just opened and I used to live in Houston. Unfortunately I am in Ohio and won't be leaving any time soon, I haven't seen any starting strength coaches on the site in Ohio. I am making pretty good progress on my LP in every lift except my squat which has stalled at 315 for about 2 months. I know I need help and I want an in person coach and not online coaching, also it is getting real hard lately to motivate myself to go in my garage and kill myself 3 x week and having some kind of community feels like it might help. So I am in Westside Barbell territory here in Columbus and obviously I am not going to Westside but it seems like all of Louie's disciples have split off and formed their own gyms as well, Ludus Magnus (Matt Wenning) Lexen (Vogelpohl) and a place called the Dogg House but I don't think that's a Westside joint. I have been tempted to reach out to Ludus Magnus (Wenning) to see what kind of services they offer. I have watched a lot of Matt's youtube videos and he seems like an alright guy but no where near as smart as Rip and Co. in his understanding and ability to articulate knowledge of the science of lifting, also it seems like people in that gym do a bunch of crazy ass assistance shit like bamboo barbell benches with bands and kettlebells and shit like that. Despite all that I feel like I desperately need some guidance to progress my lifting and while Matt is not Rip it's better than me spinning my wheels on my own? So what should I do? I know I am probably not eating enough although I have increased my calorie intake significantly since starting SS ( went from 210 to 230 BW) there are other aspects of the program that I should probably modify or follow more closely that could push me forward a bit further on my own but I feel like I need some solid in person guidance.

There are several Starting Strength coaches in Ohio. Brodie is in Cleveland. Mia is an hour away from Columbus in Yellow Springs.
    You may want to reach out to them to get some in person coaching.

You know what you want: knowledgeable coaching and accountability/community. You likely won't want to do 100% of your training in Cleveland or Yellow Springs because of the drive, but people have certainly done that drive before for training.

Your best course of action may be to do a few sessions with Brodie or Mia and then get a lifting buddy or two to get the accountability going.
    I'm not an SSC, but if Mia and Brodie are overbooked, I'd be happy to help.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Andrew, thank you so much for your reply. I looked them up and you're right, Mia and Brodie are here in Ohio. I have been in Ohio less than 3 years now and have poor geographical knowledge of anything outside Columbus so I'm sure I probably saw them the first time I ran a search and just assumed they were too far away from me.

I will reach out to Mia first as she would be the closest.

Again thanks so much for the reply and support!

Quote Originally Posted by adamwilliford1173 View Post
    Andrew, thank you so much for your reply. I looked them up and you're right, Mia and Brodie are here in Ohio. I have been in Ohio less than 3 years now and have poor geographical knowledge of anything outside Columbus so I'm sure I probably saw them the first time I ran a search and just assumed they were too far away from me.

I will reach out to Mia first as she would be the closest.

Again thanks so much for the reply and support!
    Mia's great. Good luck.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

Adam, get your ass back to Houston and get started with us...