starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift volume day - Texas Method

Default Deadlift volume day - Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Simple question. Maybe it is a matter of appearance, but it why would anyone prefer to use any submaximal pulling (stiff-legged, Romanian, etc...) instead of a regular deadlift but at the same weight as the submaximal exercises? Afterall the point is volume on volume day, with moderate intensity. Whats wrong with a DL of 5 sets of 3 reps at say 75% of intensity day for someone lifting less than 400lbs but more than 300lbs?

Why lifting say 225lbs stiff leg or 200lb Romanian deadlift, preferred than a regular deadlift for the same weights, but adjusting sets and reps to match volume?

Any advice appreciate.

Try it out and see what happens. Should be fine though, I've also used that appraoch

I'm also in the camp of not doing different variations of the deadlift. I suppose the different variations allow you to hit certain muscle groups at different intensities as opposed to the classic deadlift. I see no point to this personally as I'd rather hit those muscles in the same order of intensity at which they get hit when performing the normal deadlift. It just seems logically more appropriate to do more of the same exercise you want to get better at, unless you are at the elite level. That's why I just do one heavy set followed by more sets of the classic deadlift, albeit with lesser weight, rather than trying to 'mix it up.'

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Try it out and see what happens. Should be fine though, I've also used that appraoch
    Thank you for the response. Since you said "used", is there a reason you have changed? I am trying to understand why most of what I read on the books and forum for TM as well as HLM, basically talk about this other lifts rather than the main one but with less weight or at similar weight to the submaximal lifts. Am I missing something like stress, load, or technique wise that mentions why such approach is not more talked about?

Other lifts like rack pulls which use more weight than the regular lift, are often used to expose the lifter to higher weights, which in turn helps the main lifts. But with the submaximal lifts, a lot of them are for helping volume and isolate some muscles, which in turn helps the main lift but for more advanced lifters (or very weak ones if main lifts can't be done) . So I want to make sure that I am not missing something important about these lifts by just using the main lift but with less weight to rack up volume and help the intensity day.

Thanks!

Helps correct movement inefficiencies and strengthen weak points. You could also just deadlift too. I said used because I use a variety of approaches depending on the situation. I personally like deadlifting more because of the practice aspect but not at high volumes and intensities so that the main lift continues to progress.