starting strength gym

Thread: Plantar Fash-itis...improving plantar fasciitis through linear progression?

Default Plantar Fash-itis...improving plantar fasciitis through linear progression?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    About 6 months ago and prior to starting-strength I injured myself trying to run hard and do box jumps and a bunch of other nonsense over a short time period.

I finally saw an orthopedic and it looks like I have a combo of Plantar Fasciitis, heel spur (not bad) and some kind of bruising / swelling in my heel bone. He gave me a heel cup and told me to come back in 3 weeks.

I firmly believe that active recovery / strength training could help me here, but I'm not sure about reps / exercises.

While googling I found this article: High-load strength training improves outcome in patients with plantar fasciitis: A randomized controlled trial with 12-month follow-up. - PubMed - NCBI : "High-load strength training improves outcome in patients with plantar fasciitis: A randomized controlled trial with 12-month follow-up"

Instead of using the programming in the study what about a starting strength style linear progression with calf raises (or other exercises?) Any other suggestions? 3 sets of 5 every other day?

I’ve had flare-ups of PF over the past couple of years. It quietly disappeared, and I’m lifting heavier than ever. I think it was helped by form correction which moved me off my toes. Mostly 3x5’s the whole time. Also, good shoes (outside the gym) and Superfeet inserts (recommended by this board).

And generous helpings of ibuprofen. For me.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    About 6 months ago and prior to starting-strength I injured myself trying to run hard and do box jumps and a bunch of other nonsense over a short time period.

I finally saw an orthopedic and it looks like I have a combo of Plantar Fasciitis, heel spur (not bad) and some kind of bruising / swelling in my heel bone. He gave me a heel cup and told me to come back in 3 weeks.

I firmly believe that active recovery / strength training could help me here, but I'm not sure about reps / exercises.

While googling I found this article: High-load strength training improves outcome in patients with plantar fasciitis: A randomized controlled trial with 12-month follow-up. - PubMed - NCBI : "High-load strength training improves outcome in patients with plantar fasciitis: A randomized controlled trial with 12-month follow-up"

Instead of using the programming in the study what about a starting strength style linear progression with calf raises (or other exercises?) Any other suggestions? 3 sets of 5 every other day?
    I'd be cautious to utilize calf raises as the primary exercise. I think this could work so long as you use a very slow, deliberate eccentric lowering. These will never be able to be used in a linear progression, so just use it as a progress as tolerable routine. Personally, I think squats performed with weightlifting shoes would give you enough mechanical loading to induce the improvement in the tissue.

I've had it before too, but this time is worse. In the past I would stretch and roll a golf ball under the foot and a few weeks later gone. When it does go away it's funny, you just notice one day it doesn't hurt.

My squat shoes put more pressure on my heel (because of the elevation) and have no arch support... Since doctor gave me heel cups to take pressure off the heel I figured squat shoes might not be optimal right now. I tried the heel cups in the squat shoes and didn't like it. I guess I could try a more supportive insole in the squat shoes. In the meantime I'm running a supportive insole in a pair of Altra Mens HIIT which are very supportive (but no heel raise). I'm flexible enough to not see a big difference squatting.

I think squats DO help, maybe directly (with the loading) and indirectly (through hormone stimulation).

So far calf raises seem to help, I can do them without much pain and the pain doesn't get worse by doing them. I'm playing around with as much as I can tolerate in a higher rep range every other day and I"m increasing. I should add that I'm VERY weak on that foot right now so I really need strength training.

reporting back my plantar fasciitis is mostly resolved. I did a combination of mostly stretching, golf ball rolling, and lifting.

I wasn't able to follow much of a serious linear progression but doing calf raises and squatting seemed to have a positive impact on my strength and recovery.

The day after lifting I would be sore in the morning but not in the same way as if I had overdone it coaching (running around). With some golf ball rolling I felt better.

I'm still not 100%, but I wanted to report back that lifting / calf raises had a positive impact on strength and didn't seem to set me back recovery wise.

starting strength coach development program
    Final follow-up (I hope).

I started using Kinesiology Tape on the bottom of my foot and by correlation or causation my P.F. is gone (at least for now). I started using it while running, then I would leave it on for a day or two and sometimes it would still be on while I squatted which also helped.

Squatting, jump rope, calf raises, running would all still aggravate it. I was still feeling minor pain and irritation after doing those things but also gradually feeling stronger.

The Kinesiology tape seemed to mitigate the the acute aggravation while I still got the training benefits. Over several weeks of doing this I am now pain free.