starting strength gym

Thread: Just Beginning, But Seeking Sound Medical Advise at 54.

Post Just Beginning, But Seeking Sound Medical Advise at 54.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    > My name is Michael Duncan and I am a disabled veteran looking to get back into shape and help my older arthritic spouse do the same. I discovered you through John Lovell’s Warrior Poet website.
    > I have a total knee replacement (Striker Titanium Triathlete), and a progressive incurable disease called CRPS/RSD as a result.
    > I would like to begin your program, however, no gyms in my area. I would like to outfit my own home gym with what is needed, and I only know you recommend your B&R bar. How about rack(s), plates etc? Can you give me a list of recommendations for equipment please? I hope to become a coach and possibly open a SS gym on my own at some point.
    > The theory for assisting with my disease is to increase the stress on the effected limb (my right leg), however, the knee replacement causes me concern for the squat portion of the workout. Can you advise?
    > See you at a seminar in the future.
    > Respectfully,
    >
    > Michael A. Duncan, US Navy, Ret

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelADuncan View Post
    > My name is Michael Duncan and I am a disabled veteran looking to get back into shape and help my older arthritic spouse do the same. I discovered you through John Lovell’s Warrior Poet website.
    > I have a total knee replacement (Striker Titanium Triathlete), and a progressive incurable disease called CRPS/RSD as a result.
    > I would like to begin your program, however, no gyms in my area. I would like to outfit my own home gym with what is needed, and I only know you recommend your B&R bar. How about rack(s), plates etc? Can you give me a list of recommendations for equipment please? I hope to become a coach and possibly open a SS gym on my own at some point.
    > The theory for assisting with my disease is to increase the stress on the effected limb (my right leg), however, the knee replacement causes me concern for the squat portion of the workout. Can you advise?
    > See you at a seminar in the future.
    > Respectfully,
    >
    > Michael A. Duncan, US Navy, Ret
    Sir, appreciate you coming on here and asking your question. I am also a combat veteran and currently an Active Duty Army Major. I'm really sorry to read you developed Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. I had it myself after my right elbow UCL reconstruction. It sucks, BUT.....whoever told you this was progressive and incurable gave you bad information. Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, both Types I and II, are treatable and there is a very good chance of near full recovery. Perhaps you could make the case that it is "Incurable" because people who previously had CRPS can have short-lived exacerbations, but these can certainly be self-limiting and far from disabling. If the idea is that you have to be completely symptom free forever to be cured, I'll agree with this, but that is a very harsh interpretation of being cured. I have infrequent fits of numbness, tingling, and nerve pain in my right arm but it certainly does not limit my ability to do things.

The idea that it is progressive is absolute hogwash. Symptoms can increase, symptoms can decrease, but it is not a progressive disease process like Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. ALS is THE classic progressive disease. Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis / Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis are progressive diseases. Progressive diseases are characterized by a continuous worsening of the disease itself, or of the physical impairments created by the disease. Though persistent in a lot of cases, CRPS is not a progressive disease.

For just starting out, any cast iron plates you can find on craigslist will be fine. Just weigh them and mark them before using them. An Ohio Power Bar from Rogue is going to give you one of the most cost effective, utilitarian bars on the market. I have used the SS bar from Capps Barbell and it is equally as good, if not better. I wish I had one. The Rogue RML-390F rack is cost-effective, will do everything you ever need it to do, does not require being bolted to the floor, and it my favorite rack for the price. For bench press, if you don't have a competent spotter available, I highly recommend the Rogue Monster Light Monolift Attachment.

Lots of people squat with total knee replacements, but this is a situation where it is very beneficial to have a coach.

Sir,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, my CRPS has spread to my hip and foot, I guess this is why they say it is progressive. I have been fighting to find a treatment plan here in Virginia. Please email me personally with what you have done, very desperate at this point. (Michaeladuncan@gmail.com).
    I appreciate the feedback on equipment, looking forward to getting on track. I was told there is a SS gym in Richmond VA. However, I could not find it in a search on the SS website. I guess her name is Cassie Neiman. I also cannot find contact information for Miss Neiman. I am going to take advantage of having a few coaching sessions at the beginning, and throughout my training. It is a 1.5-2 hour drive, but worth the time, I believe.
    Does the online coaching require video input/upload, and is there any special software required? Thank you for your time and assistance.

Respectfully,

Michael A. Duncan

Desensitization training is where it is at. I had a rough textured wall in my office in Hawaii, and between patients, I rubbed my hand and arm against the wall throughout the day. When I was home, I rubbed my arm and hand with terry cloth wash rags, rubbed my hand and arm on the knurling of the barbell in between sets. I tapped my hand and arm on anything I could find. My hand went from looking like a translucent Mickey Mouse hand to looking mostly normal. I'm not going to lie to you, this sucked bad, but it progressively got better. Then, it got to the point where it still hurt, but it kind of felt good too, and it almost became a nervous tick of mine. My hand and arm still tingle and I get nerve pain on random occasions, but I address the acute flares the exact same way. I will smack my medial arm or clap my hands prior to lifts because it brings back some temporary sensation to my medial hand where I have very minimal touch sensation.

Online coaching is going to differ depending on what company or coach you go with. They all have their own internal systems for video input / uploads.

I love these stories of triumph over injuries. The video of the guy Rip helped get over his smashed up body after falling from a roof had me wiping my eyes. There's a guy in my gym who fell down a flight of steps and tore up just about every muscle and ligament in his legs-the doctor told him he would have been better off with a severe compound fractures, he was told he would be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life- but there he was managing to box squat his body weight and walking fine.