starting strength gym

Thread: Continuing Powerlifting After Varicocele Surgery

Default Continuing Powerlifting After Varicocele Surgery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been recently diagnosed with varicocele and had a varicocelectomy. Prior to my surgery, I have been lifting for 4 months, doing 5x5 and 3x5. I have gone to see an urologist after I have experienced a dull pain in my left testicle after a heavy squat/deadlift workout. I had the surgery, recovered from it, and am ready to get back on track, yet one thing keeps me worrying. I have seen two urologist and one seems to be okay with my continuing lifting and the second one forbids any kind of exercise that could put a lot of pressure into my stomach area. Will the risk of varicocele repeating increase if I continue lifting, or is it only a genetic matter and has nothing to do with my lifting weights? I would like to hear your opinions and experiences on this matter. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by zabnac View Post
    I have been recently diagnosed with varicocele and had a varicocelectomy. Prior to my surgery, I have been lifting for 4 months, doing 5x5 and 3x5. I have gone to see an urologist after I have experienced a dull pain in my left testicle after a heavy squat/deadlift workout. I had the surgery, recovered from it, and am ready to get back on track, yet one thing keeps me worrying. I have seen two urologist and one seems to be okay with my continuing lifting and the second one forbids any kind of exercise that could put a lot of pressure into my stomach area. Will the risk of varicocele repeating increase if I continue lifting, or is it only a genetic matter and has nothing to do with my lifting weights? I would like to hear your opinions and experiences on this matter. Thank you!
    When you have been given polar opposite medical advice, you simply have to just be a consumer and pick which one you prefer. I know what I would do in this situation.

I have never heard of, nor been told by a surgeon that a varicocelectomy is a contraindication to barbell training. I've treated probably a dozen or so individuals S/P varicocelectomy in the past. I've never had an issue though YMMV.

I train without problems 6 years after my varicocelectomy procedure.