starting strength gym

Thread: Two months after laparoscopic mesh hernia operation, still have pain. Is this normal?

Default Two months after laparoscopic mesh hernia operation, still have pain. Is this normal?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had a unilateral laparoscopic mesh direct inguinal hernia repair on August 20, 2019. As of October 24, 2019 I am still having a fair bit of pain. Specifically, if I press on the top edge of where the mesh is, it is quite sensitive. I think the sensitivity to pressure is the source of an almost constant ache. Also, I can feel pain and some pulling where I think the inner and outer edges of the mesh are. I do not have any sharp shooting pains. And, I don't have to limit my activities. But the constant ache near the sensitive area and the pain/pulling on the inner and outer edges of the mesh make life very unpleasant.

I would greatly appreciate it if some others who have had a laparoscopic mesh hernia repair would let me know how long it took them to fully recover (where "fully recovered" means you are basically pain-free, even if you have a twinge every once in a while).

Quote Originally Posted by mattlorig View Post
    I had a unilateral laparoscopic mesh direct inguinal hernia repair on August 20, 2019. As of October 24, 2019 I am still having a fair bit of pain. Specifically, if I press on the top edge of where the mesh is, it is quite sensitive. I think the sensitivity to pressure is the source of an almost constant ache. Also, I can feel pain and some pulling where I think the inner and outer edges of the mesh are. I do not have any sharp shooting pains. And, I don't have to limit my activities. But the constant ache near the sensitive area and the pain/pulling on the inner and outer edges of the mesh make life very unpleasant.

I would greatly appreciate it if some others who have had a laparoscopic mesh hernia repair would let me know how long it took them to fully recover (where "fully recovered" means you are basically pain-free, even if you have a twinge every once in a while).
    What does your surgeon say about this?

I had a similar surgery as well as a very small umbilical hernia repaired with just a couple stitches, about 12 years ago. At 4 weeks I was cleared by my surgeon to do whatever I felt comfortable with, including weight training. Over the next few weeks I worked back into my normal training including squatting and deadlifting. I’m pretty sure by 2 months I had no pain, discomfort, or sensation of the injuries or anything involving the surgeries.

If I felt the level of discomfort you are describing I would definitely see the surgeon ASAP.

My surgeon said that most people don't have pain after two months. But, he has seen some others with pain beyond 2 months. He advised taking advil and following up in another month. He emphasized that, as long as things are moving in the right direction, I shouldn't worry. Unfortunately, I feel like the pain is getting worse. For example, 3 weeks after surgery I didn't have any tightness "pulling" sensations. And I wasn't taking any painkillers. Now I'm taking advil every day. And I have pulling sensations and soreness throughout the day.

I would listen to the surgeon and keep him updated. The pulling sensations and soreness sound frustrating and disappointing, especially when you were expecting to be close to %100 by now. While laparoscopic surgery limits the formation of adhesions in the healing process, they may be a contributor here and something you should bring up to your surgeon at your next visit if symptoms persist. At least after seeing him, you now know that he has had patients that were having similar symptoms to you after two months and that they turned out ok with just some more time. Try not to be hypervigilant about the sensations and soreness. When the thoughts start to spiral, remind yourself that you don't have signs of infection (fever, vomiting, very sharp pain, bowel complications) and that your activity is not limited. Keep us updated.