starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Rehab - Distal Clavicle

Default Shoulder Rehab - Distal Clavicle

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Friends:

I am having a distal clavicle excision procedure to decompress the AC joint on Monday. I have devoured the posts on the SS shoulder rehab protocol including Mr. Rippetoe's shoulder rehab video and Mr. Delgadillo's article, "Post-Surgery Shoulder Rehabilitation". One of the variables I noted in many of the threads were the suggested time off between surgery and beginning the protocol - based on the type of procedure - in order to allow the repair to set.

In Delgadillo's article, he said that Bre began a week after the procedure, but that Rippetoe threw her out of the gym when he found out she started that early. In the "How frequently to press for shoulder rehab", Michael Wolf stated that he waited longer for his full circumferential labral procedure than a typical rotator cuff procedure to begin.

Those threads are all closed, so I thought I would post the question here:

Does anyone have any experience having or coaching someone after a distal clavicle excision procedure? Any guidance on how long to wait post-op to begin the procedure? If it matters, I'm 41 years old.

Thanks all and appreciate any insight.

Quote Originally Posted by StrengthAndHonor View Post
    Friends:

I am having a distal clavicle excision procedure to decompress the AC joint on Monday. I have devoured the posts on the SS shoulder rehab protocol including Mr. Rippetoe's shoulder rehab video and Mr. Delgadillo's article, "Post-Surgery Shoulder Rehabilitation". One of the variables I noted in many of the threads were the suggested time off between surgery and beginning the protocol - based on the type of procedure - in order to allow the repair to set.

In Delgadillo's article, he said that Bre began a week after the procedure, but that Rippetoe threw her out of the gym when he found out she started that early. In the "How frequently to press for shoulder rehab", Michael Wolf stated that he waited longer for his full circumferential labral procedure than a typical rotator cuff procedure to begin.

Those threads are all closed, so I thought I would post the question here:

Does anyone have any experience having or coaching someone after a distal clavicle excision procedure? Any guidance on how long to wait post-op to begin the procedure? If it matters, I'm 41 years old.

Thanks all and appreciate any insight.
    The best advice one can give is to listen to your surgeon. Do what she / he tells you to do. If you opt not to listen to your surgeon, you buy any and all issues that may arise from not listening to their instructions.

I've had people who have waited a solid 6 months before they got back to trying to train after a DCE. It hurt when they started. I've had others wait 6 weeks. It hurt when they started. If it were me, I'd probably start exactly where I started coming back from an elbow ligamentous reconstruction, but I am also, admittedly, mentally ill when it comes to training and perhaps a bit reckless.