starting strength gym

Thread: Screws and plates in ankle

Default Screws and plates in ankle

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last year I broked my fibula, a part very close to the ankle. Doctors use to fix fractures with screws and plates, so yeah I got a plate and some screws to deal with loss of alignment. I am totally fine now, last September after the fracture healed I started doing air squats shifting to the bar and progressing very very slowly with the instructions explained in the book and now I am doing my fives with 225lbs with no pain. The orthopedic surgeon told me that I had no "athletic restrictions", he even mentioned doing leg presses but I wonder about if these plates and screws are something to worry about when doing some heavy squats. I've heard that screws generally don't act like supportive material and they shouldn't bother. Since doctors are not very aware about problems involved with lifting I ask you if you have treated with some athlete in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joaquin Baena View Post
    Last year I broked my fibula, a part very close to the ankle. Doctors use to fix fractures with screws and plates, so yeah I got a plate and some screws to deal with loss of alignment. I am totally fine now, last September after the fracture healed I started doing air squats shifting to the bar and progressing very very slowly with the instructions explained in the book and now I am doing my fives with 225lbs with no pain. The orthopedic surgeon told me that I had no "athletic restrictions", he even mentioned doing leg presses but I wonder about if these plates and screws are something to worry about when doing some heavy squats. I've heard that screws generally don't act like supportive material and they shouldn't bother. Since doctors are not very aware about problems involved with lifting I ask you if you have treated with some athlete in this situation.
    Your orthopaedic surgeon was correct. There are no restrictions. The plate and screw is put in to provide stability and alignment when healing, and there just really isn't much of a reason, if it isn't causing problems, to go in and remove the hardware.

To a broader topic, I do find it somewhat amusing that virtually all questions posed on here have some reference to whether or not I have treated someone with a similar condition. This is especially amusing when it refers to something like a seemingly routine ORIF of the ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Your orthopaedic surgeon was correct. There are no restrictions. The plate and screw is put in to provide stability and alignment when healing, and there just really isn't much of a reason, if it isn't causing problems, to go in and remove the hardware.

To a broader topic, I do find it somewhat amusing that virtually all questions posed on here have some reference to whether or not I have treated someone with a similar condition. This is especially amusing when it refers to something like a seemingly routine ORIF of the ankle.
    Very glad to hear that the screws and plate have no further complication.

Regarding the reference: I think it is just the lack of information someone can find on the internet about injuries and orthopedic material inside the body and activity involved with lifting. You can feel like you are in a kind of an awkward situation that no one else has been before, then asking to someone evidence might seem reasonable. Also the ankle feeling it like a "fragile piece of bone" reinforces the search of evidence like: I can't believe this thing can hold heavy things again!