starting strength gym

Thread: Considering back surgery

Default Considering back surgery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi.

I am asking for a friend.

He has been suffering with severe back pain for some time and has also had cortisone injections. He is now on a lot of pain meds and is considering surgery. I am trying to talk him out of it (at least until he try strength training), but would like to give him some evidence of the benefits. I remember watching a video about a loss adjuster that fell off a ladder and was badly damaged, but I can't find it. I wanted to show him it, so he can see what can be achieved.
    He has sent me the doctors report and it states the the scan shows a bulge at L5/S1 and L4/5, which is impinging the L5 and S1 nerve roots. The L4/5 scan looks slightly better than 2 years ago, but he say's the pain is worse. They are talking about giving him stronger pain meds whilst he waits to have a nerve block.
    I have no experience with back pain or injuries, so I can't advise him, I just know that from my 2 recent surgeries and other injuries, that strength training has helped me immensely.
    Can somebody please give me the link to that video and any other advice.

Thanks.

Barbell Training as Rehab | Karl Schudt

Back Rehab: A Case Study | Mac Ward

Here are some of the resources I think you were looking for. If you google starting strength back pain a bunch more will come up.

Back surgery left me with a permanent limp if he goes there use a neuro surgeon not an orthepedic surgeon

I recently had sciatica from a pinched nerve and purchased a nubax trio traction device. This thing worked great and you only use use for 3 minutes twice a day

Google it I bought mine from Amazon ( read the reviews) and I’m not a doctor so take my advice as anecdotal and just my good experience

I love this thing

Quote Originally Posted by Gav1 View Post
    Hi.

I am asking for a friend.

He has been suffering with severe back pain for some time and has also had cortisone injections. He is now on a lot of pain meds and is considering surgery. I am trying to talk him out of it (at least until he try strength training), but would like to give him some evidence of the benefits. I remember watching a video about a loss adjuster that fell off a ladder and was badly damaged, but I can't find it. I wanted to show him it, so he can see what can be achieved.
    He has sent me the doctors report and it states the the scan shows a bulge at L5/S1 and L4/5, which is impinging the L5 and S1 nerve roots. The L4/5 scan looks slightly better than 2 years ago, but he say's the pain is worse. They are talking about giving him stronger pain meds whilst he waits to have a nerve block.
    I have no experience with back pain or injuries, so I can't advise him, I just know that from my 2 recent surgeries and other injuries, that strength training has helped me immensely.
    Can somebody please give me the link to that video and any other advice.

Thanks.
    Generally speaking, you can point people towards information or resources, but it isn't LIKELY to sway their opinion. There are countless variables at work, and when it comes to pain, with back pain being particularly troublesome, individuals seem to be very hesitant to use the testimony of someone when the intervention was not passive. If you had someone give an in-depth testimony about a supplement, acupuncture, traction, massage, etc, they may be more inclined to listen to it, but you give them hundreds of testimonies from people who diligently trained themselves out of the condition, and they will disregard it immediately.