starting strength gym

Thread: Analysis Paralysis: Racks

Question Analysis Paralysis: Racks

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm struggling to decide on whether or not to go with a full rack, half-rack or a traditional squat stand like the ones used in competitions.

I'm still in NLP, am putting together a home gym and looking to keep the "rack" portion on a single 4' x 8' section of board. I will be using at least two to three layers of plywood for support and whatever "rack" I get will get bolted down.

I'm trying to keep the cost to $400 or less. I've been scouring the classifieds (craigslist, fb market place, letgo, offerup, ebay) and looking at new too and just am not sure which direction to go in.

For a full rack, I like the design of the Titan X-2, but would want to install strap safeties to protect the bar, but maybe that's just stupid and the metal ones are fine.

Likewise, with a half-rack/squat rack the safety arms with plastic wear plates are probably fine.

My rackable lifts are 200 lbs. on squat, 105 lbs. on press, 140 lbs on bench press.

I'm going to be getting my wife and mother-in-law in on the NLP to.

I suspect safety will be fine either way, but I'm not sure how to make the decision =\

I don't forsee needing any other accessories. I'm into the SS program 100% and don't want to invest in accessory bits that are extraneous.

If you're going to buy a squat rack, don't half ass it and skimp. Buy something you'll be happy to have forever. The squat rack and bar are not the place to look for a cheap product.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I have been very happy with the Titan T3, which I think was a little over $400. The shortcomings of Titan vs, say, Rogue, are mostly cosmetic and service-related, and didn’t outweigh the cost savings for me.

If you only have room for a 4x8 platform, make sure the bottom crossmembers of the rack are low enough to allow for deadlifting in the rack.

I am using the metal tube safeties that come with the rack. They are marked up from the knurl of the bar, which suggests it is a softer metal than the bar, and won’t damage the bar. Hopefully making use of the safeties is a rare occurrence. They are most important if you bench alone. I haven’t tried benching with strap safeties, but it seems that to have them high enough to keep the bar off your chest might mean the ends that meet the rack might be high enough to interfere with bar path.

Quote Originally Posted by dgoldstein78 View Post
    I'm going to be getting my wife and mother-in-law in on the NLP to.
    Forget rack safety, this is the most dangerous thing you are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by dgoldstein78 View Post
    I don't forsee needing any other accessories. I'm into the SS program 100% and don't want to invest in accessory bits that are extraneous.
    Famous last words. After NLP, you will find accessory lifts and exercises useful, and may appreciate the variety too. Plus, it’s fun to buy new gear! You may be keeping it minimal now, but there’s a good chance that within a year you’ll be explaining to your wife that she has to park her car in the lawn to make room for your new reverse hyper and air bike.

Just to follow up on my original post... I wound up getting a Titan X-2 Tall and their strap safeties last November during a Black Friday sale. It's been a fantastic rack for the money despite minor cosmetic blems in the finish - that doesn't matter. It holds the bar fine and has saved me from a failed bench rep

I'm able to perform all of the main SS lifts within the safety of the rack for when I'm alone. That was the point and it's been great!