starting strength gym

Thread: Budget quality Olympic Bar

An unforeseen future nestled somewhere in time.

Default Budget quality Olympic Bar

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Friends
    I am on a tight budget, and my apartment building has a dual axis smith machine. i want to start training again and was considering buying my own bar, so i can use it on that machine to squat, press, and bench (they have plates and the actual rack but i dont want to use the fixed dual axis bar).
    do you know where i can get a quality budget bar that i can keep in my apartment and take with me to the apartment building gym?
    appreciate any tips.

Price range?

The cheapest bar that would last 2 years and wouldnt break on me. I know it sounds ridiculous but I try to save every penny I have given my circumstances.
    I know Rogue bars are expensive, this is why I wanted to ask around here.
    Also, do you think its reasonable to use a 35 lbs bar if its cheaper than a 45 lbs one (if price range is meaningful)? Or is starting strength discouraged with a 35 lb bar.
    Thanks maestro

The cheapest bar worth owning will be 250-300$, if you buy it new. Save up.

Thanks. Any specific bar you would recommend? I can look it up used as well.
    thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by docoftheworld View Post
    Also, do you think its reasonable to use a 35 lbs bar if its cheaper than a 45 lbs one (if price range is meaningful)? Or is starting strength discouraged with a 35 lb bar.
    If you're talking about a 15kg olympic bar, that's made for women's weightlifting with a smaller diameter shaft. I wouldn't strength train with that.

The SS bar is $314. Texas Power Bars are solid.

If you're going to look for used, watch this.

Coop also has a comprehensive list of bars that he's reviewed at Garage Gym Reviews that may be worth a look.

Very helpful. Thanks a million

Lastly, do you think its a dumb idea to buy my own bar, and take it to that dual axis smith machine and train? or is it reasonable?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by docoftheworld View Post
    Very helpful. Thanks a million

Lastly, do you think its a dumb idea to buy my own bar, and take it to that dual axis smith machine and train? or is it reasonable?
    Better measure the hook spacing (width) for that dual axis machine to make sure your bar can fit in there.
    I've seen people do that before with some smith machines, some it doesn't work.

It will be a pain in the ass to tote the bar from your apartment to the complex's gym every work out.
    It'd be nice if you leave in the gym, in the broom closest or something....you'd have to work that out with the staff I guess.
    But then that will open a Pandora's bag of worms I suppose.

Some people will leave their own bars at globo-gym's and use a device to 'lock it up' to keep dude-bros from abusing it.
    (google "Proloc Rogue", or similar)