starting strength gym

Thread: Spondylolisthesis

Default Spondylolisthesis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I learned today I have Spondylolisthesis in my lumbosacral region. I have no pain or ROM problems, and I can Squat below parallel easily and have squatted 280 for 3x5. I'm 21 years old if that makes a difference. Is there anything I should be careful doing in the the gym? Thanks

How and why were you evaluated and diagnosed with spondylolisthesis?

The rates of “abnormal” imaging findings on the spines of young healthy people is surprisingly high, and “normal” imaging of the spine is surprisingly common for people with “back problems,” so generally we don’t care about the imaging unless you are preparing for surgery. And with no symptoms, you are not preparing for surgery. Go forth and train.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    How and why were you evaluated and diagnosed with spondylolisthesis?

The rates of “abnormal” imaging findings on the spines of young healthy people is surprisingly high, and “normal” imaging of the spine is surprisingly common for people with “back problems,” so generally we don’t care about the imaging unless you are preparing for surgery. And with no symptoms, you are not preparing for surgery. Go forth and train.
    I have to echo what Dr. JFSully says here. The how and why you were evaluated and diagnosed with this is important. Very important. The VAST majority of the time, spondylolisthesis is found as an incidental finding on inappropriately ordered imaging studies. Symptomatic spondylolistheses, and spondylolistheses that are known and tracked over time with repeat imaging that demonstrate instability are troubling, but this makes up a small, miniscule number of the one's found on imaging.

I have this and I dont train any different than anyone else. I have no issues.