starting strength gym

Thread: Bulging Disc Rehab Programming

Default Bulging Disc Rehab Programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5 weeks ago I was going for a 465 deadlift triple and rounded my low back a little on the last rep and my back felt tweaked. I decided to take a week off to let it heal. A week later I was able to squat 330 for 5x5 on Monday and noticed my low back felt a little funny. I went on to squat 250 for 2 sets of 5 on Wednesday with some discomfort in my back. The next day I played basketball and noticed my back was killing me after. I decided to skip my heavy day on Friday and try again the next week. The next Monday I was warming up to squat and when I got to 225 I felt a shooting pain in my low back. I immediately stopped lifting and scheduled an appointment with an orthopedist. He examined me and said based on my symptoms (pain in low back bending over or leaning backwards) that I likely had a bulging disc in my low back. He prescribed some physical therapy and said I'd eventually return to lifting but I should take some time off for the next couple months. I got to pt and was given exercises like the cobra pose, side planks, some spinal rotation exercises, and air squats making sure not to buttwink. The pt said to avoid deadlifting and to not squat weight again until I had no pain in my lower back. I feel awfully lost as to how I should return to lifting heavy and how to program my rehab in regard to lifting. I haven't lifted heavy since the injury and would really like to start lifting soon. What exercises, sets, reps, weights would you recommend for me to rehab this? My 5RM for squat was 390 prior to the injury. I appreciate the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by hreiter View Post
    5 weeks ago I was going for a 465 deadlift triple and rounded my low back a little on the last rep and my back felt tweaked. I decided to take a week off to let it heal. A week later I was able to squat 330 for 5x5 on Monday and noticed my low back felt a little funny. I went on to squat 250 for 2 sets of 5 on Wednesday with some discomfort in my back. The next day I played basketball and noticed my back was killing me after. I decided to skip my heavy day on Friday and try again the next week. The next Monday I was warming up to squat and when I got to 225 I felt a shooting pain in my low back. I immediately stopped lifting and scheduled an appointment with an orthopedist. He examined me and said based on my symptoms (pain in low back bending over or leaning backwards) that I likely had a bulging disc in my low back. He prescribed some physical therapy and said I'd eventually return to lifting but I should take some time off for the next couple months. I got to pt and was given exercises like the cobra pose, side planks, some spinal rotation exercises, and air squats making sure not to buttwink. The pt said to avoid deadlifting and to not squat weight again until I had no pain in my lower back. I feel awfully lost as to how I should return to lifting heavy and how to program my rehab in regard to lifting. I haven't lifted heavy since the injury and would really like to start lifting soon. What exercises, sets, reps, weights would you recommend for me to rehab this? My 5RM for squat was 390 prior to the injury. I appreciate the advice!
    This is beyond the scope of what can really be answered right here. This will require a professional consultation. Giving information is one thing, but programming an entire rehab program for free is just not something I am able to do at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    This is beyond the scope of what can really be answered right here. This will require a professional consultation. Giving information is one thing, but programming an entire rehab program for free is just not something I am able to do at this time.
    I'm just North of you in Tacoma, WA. What would you charge to meet up and go over programming?

Doc Morris,
    What are your thoughts on reverse hypers? I can’t say I’ve had any success with these, but i don’t have access to a machine for proper loading.

Quote Originally Posted by hreiter View Post
    I'm just North of you in Tacoma, WA. What would you charge to meet up and go over programming?
    I’m sure we could work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Doc Morris,
    What are your thoughts on reverse hypers? I can’t say I’ve had any success with these, but i don’t have access to a machine for proper loading.
    I give reverse hypers as a therapeutic intervention to people with herniated discs quite often. I’ve found doing them from the ground is sufficient, and once they are able to do so, loading is done via squats and deadlifts.

I’m sure we could work something out.
    How can I get in touch with you to discuss details?

There used to be an option to send messages to other board members, but that doesn’t seem to work anymore.

Send me an email at William.morris217@gmail.com and I’ll provide you more personal contact into that I don’t really want to share publicly.

starting strength coach development program
    There used to be an option to send messages to other board members, but that doesn’t seem to work anymore.

Send me an email at William.morris217@gmail.com and I’ll provide you more personal contact into that I don’t really want to share publicly.
    Email sent. Thanks!