starting strength gym

Thread: Bleeding under toenail, treatment and lifting?

Default Bleeding under toenail, treatment and lifting?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,
    So I successfully dropped a couch on my foot and my big toe nail is now completely blue. I’m told to get it punctured and drained and that eventually the nail will fall off.

Does anyone have any experience with this and what do do about it?

Pain is ok my concern is if I can keep lifting while the nail is coming off and after without making things worse.

I’d really appreciate any help,
    Thanks

Easily treated acutely with a blunted syringe needle that is drilled slowly through the toe nail until the hematoma evacuates. Acutely, it is among the most “miraculous” treatments that exists to immediately relieve pain. As soon as the hematoma evacuates, pain is reduced to nearly zero.

Yep, you will still lose the nail. Place a strip of athletic tape around the toe (taking a slight angle) while you train. Barring some incredible, unknowable happenings, you are not going to make it worse. You’ve already dropped a damned couch on it. Training is far better for your toe than doing that.

A hot (like heated in a flame) sewing needle will work too. It goes through the nail like a hot knife through butter. Instant relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Easily treated acutely with a blunted syringe needle that is drilled slowly through the toe nail until the hematoma evacuates. Acutely, it is among the most “miraculous” treatments that exists to immediately relieve pain. As soon as the hematoma evacuates, pain is reduced to nearly zero.

Yep, you will still lose the nail. Place a strip of athletic tape around the toe (taking a slight angle) while you train. Barring some incredible, unknowable happenings, you are not going to make it worse. You’ve already dropped a damned couch on it. Training is far better for your toe than doing that.
    Hey, thanks a lot for the advice both of you. I accidentally drained most of it when I trimmed the nail and had a doctor do the rest like you mentioned, drilling a hole. I barely feel it now and had no problems working out this morning! Thanks!

I use a drill bit. Don't use a drill.

I'd prefer something sterile, but, that would work too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I use a drill bit. Don't use a drill.
    Yes, I imagine that a drill could make things worse very quickly.

Reminds me of a guy I saw in the ED, with a nail fully driven into his palm, with the nailhead (I think it was a roofing nail) flush with the back of his hand and the point sticking way out through the palm. One of the younger doctors asked him “why didn’t you stop hammering?” She had apparently never seen or heard of a nail gun. To his credit, the guy thought that was the funniest thing he’d heard in a long time.

Sterilize the drill bit with a flame, let it cool, and slowly make a hole in the nail. Works great. Leave the drill unplugged in another room.