starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting Shoes

Default Lifting Shoes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've already purchased a belt, and it seemed to make a world of difference in my lifting. I feel much more solid. I've decided to look into getting some dedicated lifting shoes as well. Up until now, I've been lifting in New Balance Minimus Trail Runners. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair to buy to start out with? I've read a few articles that mention different heights of weightlifting shoes being meant for different lifts (e.g. 15mm for low bar squats, 17mm for Olmypic style lifts because it gets you lower while maintaining an upright torse) and don't want to screw up and buy the wrong 'type' of weightlifting shoes. Thanks!

I'm not sure 2mm will make or break you.
    What are you willing to spend? Do you have wider than average feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    I'm not sure 2mm will make or break you.
    What are you willing to spend? Do you have wider than average feet?
    I'm used to spending in the neighborhood of $100-$120 for a pair of shoes. I don't know if my feet are wider than average, but all the shoes I wear now are either leather boots (that stretch out over time) or shoes with wider toe boxes like the Minimus. In the summer, I spend a majority of my time barefoot. I've tried on pairs of more traditional sneakers/running shoes recently, and they aren't comfortable at all. I like for my toes to be able to spread out.

I can tell you that the Adidas versions are relatively narrow and don't have a lot of vertical space in the toe box, although they will stretch a bit over time. I wear a 10.5 normally and that's what I got the for the Power Perfect 3. If you were to go that route I'd order it a half size larger than your usual to accommodate your toes. Mine are still not that comfortable in the toes (but you're only wearing them a few hours a week anyway).

The heels are about 5/8" of rise. My wife got a pair of Powerlift 4s which have closer to 3/4" of rise. They're also narrower than the Power Perfect 3.

I don't have any experience with the other brands but maybe others can jump in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I can tell you that the Adidas versions are relatively narrow and don't have a lot of vertical space in the toe box, although they will stretch a bit over time. I wear a 10.5 normally and that's what I got the for the Power Perfect 3. If you were to go that route I'd order it a half size larger than your usual to accommodate your toes. Mine are still not that comfortable in the toes (but you're only wearing them a few hours a week anyway).

The heels are about 5/8" of rise. My wife got a pair of Powerlift 4s which have closer to 3/4" of rise. They're also narrower than the Power Perfect 3.

I don't have any experience with the other brands but maybe others can jump in here.
    Thanks! I know to stay away from the Adidas stuff then. Really appreciate the input!

If you're worried about your toes becoming claustrophobic, maybe check out the do wins. I'm told they tend to run wide.
    I've only ever own the adipowers and romaleo 2s and didn't have an issue with them being narrow.
    I'm sure there'll be others on here that can chime in.

starting strength coach development program
    I really really really like the Inov-8 Fastlift 370’s. I’ve owned the Do-Win’s, Nike Romelo 2’s, and the Inov-8’s. I originally started with the Do-Wins. After 6-7 months, I wanted a nicer shoe. So I bought the highly recommended Nike Romelo 2’s. I did NOT like the Romeleos. They were too narrow....and the opposing straps were kind of a pita. I didn’t want to spend another $200 on a pair of shoes....and I didn’t want to go back to the Do-Wins. But I hated the Romelo 2’s that bad.....so I bit the bullet and rolled the dice on the Inov-8 370’s. First off, I really like the Boa lacing system. It works great. Also, they are fairly light for weight lifting shoes.....so it doesn’t feel like you’re wearing bricks on your feet. Lastly, they fit my feet quite well. The Do-Wins were too wide, the Nike’s too narrow, these are just right. My feet feel secure and firm in these shoes. Check out the Inov-8s.

https://www.inov-8.com/us/fastlift-3...htlifting-shoe