starting strength gym

Thread: Missing some muscles in one leg

Default Missing some muscles in one leg

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had major leg surgery three years ago. The doctor removed all my adductor muscles, and 2 (of 3) of the hamstring muscles
    I went through super basic PT following the surgery. And the orthopedic surgeon gave two main warnings. First, that over time the hip girdle would shift causing potential increasing alignment issues (on the surgery side). And secondly, that I should avoid activities that pose higher risk of a leg break (since surgery leg had received significant radiation treatments). Apparently the capacity of radiated tissues to heal are greatly limited.

So specifically I wanted to know if there are any specific exercises that could help counter the anticipated shift in the hip girdle (and any of the standard barbell strength exercises to avoid). From what I understand, the changes that begin at hip causes cascade of alignment issues down through entire leg.
    Thanks for any insights of others that may have had similar surgery

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMurph View Post
    I had major leg surgery three years ago. The doctor removed all my adductor muscles, and 2 (of 3) of the hamstring muscles
    I went through super basic PT following the surgery. And the orthopedic surgeon gave two main warnings. First, that over time the hip girdle would shift causing potential increasing alignment issues (on the surgery side). And secondly, that I should avoid activities that pose higher risk of a leg break (since surgery leg had received significant radiation treatments). Apparently the capacity of radiated tissues to heal are greatly limited.

So specifically I wanted to know if there are any specific exercises that could help counter the anticipated shift in the hip girdle (and any of the standard barbell strength exercises to avoid). From what I understand, the changes that begin at hip causes cascade of alignment issues down through entire leg.
    Thanks for any insights of others that may have had similar surgery
    Soft tissue sarcoma survivor?

I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out advice on this situation without actually evaluating this in person. At the very least, seeing video of the leg in question performing some type of active movement might give me more clarity on what exactly you are working with. This, unfortunately, is the ugly side of the PT business. it isn't always paint by numbers, which may explain why the PT you had after surgery was less than exhilarating.

Yes it was a soft tissue sarcoma (muscle tumor) in one adductor. But the surgeon required clear margins when removing tumor, so adjacent muscles were removed. Fortunately I have quad muscle
    I do have collection of images showing the leg post diagnosis and surgery. But currently no video. The photos are simply a shareable link that I can email directly

MtnMurph, I apologize for taking so long to respond back to this. Send me an email at William.morris217@gmail.com and we can communicate via email about this. I've worked with some sarcoma survivors and other individuals with volumetric soft tissue loss due to trauma. I will take a look at what you have and maybe we can develop a workable solution for you.