starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 month rib injury STILL not healed

Question 12 month rib injury STILL not healed

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A year ago I injured several ribs after being thrown hard onto the ground at an MMA class. I couldn't get out of bed the next day. After several weeks I went to see the doc who said nothing was broken, and that I likely just had bruising.

After taking some time off to recover, I went to a BJJ class. I found that I could not tolerate having a human's body-weight on top of me without severe pain in my ribs. I took more time off to recover.

I started doing the SS novice program at the end of August. I've been taking things quite slowly to avoid aggravating any of my accumulated injuries. Today I experienced the same kind of pain during my bench press that I experienced during BJJ.

The pain occurs in the posterior and distal rib region on the left side. I think it's from around the 8th pair down?

Here are my current numbers.

Squat: 172
    Bench: 154
    Press: 85
    Deadlift: 225

Three days ago I attempted a 242 deadlift, which I managed but felt some movement in the affected area. It hurt a little bit but didn't seem like a big deal.

Today I attempted to bench 158 but it was too painful. I did a few reps before dropping the weight to 132, which was more bearable but still hurt a bit. Then I did my deadlift at 225 which was a little painful, but nowhere near as bad as the bench.

My plan is to reduce weight on the bench to a comfortable level, then slowly work back up as this thing heals.

But why is this taking so long to finally heal? Should I be concerned that this injury has persisted for a whole year? I thought ribs were supposed to fix themselves after just a few weeks! Is it worth going to the doc and asking for an x-ray or something?

On the bright side, the squats have eliminated knee pain that I've had for five plus years so that's good

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell_scot View Post

After taking some time off to recover,....I took more time off to recover.

But why is this taking so long to finally heal?

On the bright side, the squats have eliminated knee pain that I've had for five plus years so that's good
    As above. I got rid of the less important stuff.

I broke some cartilage around my 10th rib Left side about 5 years ago at BJJ. Hurt for a while (probably over a year) but it doesn’t bother me now. It sticks out a bit and I like to think it makes my opponent uncomfortable when I’m sticking it in their diaphragm from side control

Interesting! Did you have visible bruising when you broke it?

Yes on the anterior side where the cartilage sticks out. This reoccurred for a while because i kept smashing the soft tissue from being lean and having a weird ass bumpy rib. I was also experiencing posterior pain and cramping around the same rib for a couple of years. After a while the pain and discomfort subsided and i hardly ever notice it now.

Have you tried wearing compression on your ribs for the time being, Maxwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Yes on the anterior side where the cartilage sticks out. This reoccurred for a while because i kept smashing the soft tissue from being lean and having a weird ass bumpy rib. I was also experiencing posterior pain and cramping around the same rib for a couple of years. After a while the pain and discomfort subsided and i hardly ever notice it now.
    Sounds nasty. My injury isn't as severe as yours but it's interesting that you also had some reoccurring problems. Glad to hear you're pretty much done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Have you tried wearing compression on your ribs for the time being, Maxwell?
    No I've just been taking ibuprofen and chilling out. Haven't been to the gym since. It's improved but not enough that I can lie on my left side without pain. Would be happy to try out compression if it might help.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell_scot View Post
    Sounds nasty. My injury isn't as severe as yours but it's interesting that you also had some reoccurring problems. Glad to hear you're pretty much done with it.

No I've just been taking ibuprofen and chilling out. Haven't been to the gym since. It's improved but not enough that I can lie on my left side without pain. Would be happy to try out compression if it might help.
    I've had a lot of success with treating rib injuries with compression. These are one of the few things Velcro weightlifting belts seem to be good for.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I've had a lot of success with treating rib injuries with compression. These are one of the few things Velcro weightlifting belts seem to be good for.
    Deadlifting work sets x5; popped rib. Has happened before. I don’t train with a belt, would rather not. Does research or anecdotal evidence suggest belts limit or exasperate these type of bracing injuries?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by plaroue View Post
    Deadlifting work sets x5; popped rib. Has happened before. I don’t train with a belt, would rather not. Does research or anecdotal evidence suggest belts limit or exasperate these type of bracing injuries?
    I am not aware of any research available regarding rib pain and weightlifting belts. Seems to be a rather low impact research question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast