starting strength gym

Thread: SI Joint maybe...

Post SI Joint maybe...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone.
    Before approximately two months, I had a low back "injury" ( I don't know how else to call it ) in the gym while overhead barbell pressing. I overextended a bit too much and I felt a sudden pinch in my lower back.

- At this point I need to mention that it was the first time doing this exercise after 3 months cause of some knee problems ( I stopped going to the gym ). I had spent the first two weeks doing only bench presses, deadlifts and squats to get my body slowly come back to it's strength peak ( didn't have any issues with those three exercises ). -

So, after some days of not lifting at all, I decided to suck it up and go to the gym. In squats, parallel only ( not ass to grass ), I didn't had any discomfort. The problem showed up when i tried deadlifts with a lot of weight. It was like a pinch sensation at the start of every rep. The next day was very painful, like the first days after the injury.
    The pain, back then, was all over my lower back.

Today, the pain is placed in my lower back at the right side ( opposite side of heart ). I stopped going to the gym cause of studying and cause of fear of making it worse.
    At first i thought that it might be a bulging disc, but after searching about the painful area I learned about SI Joint. I feel pain when i overextend to the side of the pain, right where SI Joint is.
    This, combined with the deadlift pain, made me think that the discomfort is present when there's pelvic movement, but I may be wrong.

I don't know what to do, it has driven me crazy.
    I'd be glad If I don't need to go to physio again...
    Any help will be very much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Just to clarify, the weight that triggered the pain when deadlifting was weight that i handled in my working sets before injuring myself.
    Meaning that I was adapted to it, but couldn't handle it anymore cause of pain from the injury.

My advice from your last thread is applicable here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    My advice from your last thread is applicable here as well.
    So you suggest that, if i start from less weight and slowly progress again, my pain will eventually go cause my body will adapt again to more weight?
    I don't understand how exposing my body to exercise will solve the pain.
    If you could explain, I'd be more than satisfied !

This mechanism is widely described all across the internet. I, myself, have described this numerous times, both on this board and in lectures on the website. Unfortunately, I am afraid you will have to come across your own answers. You obviously disagree with virtually everything that has been told to you, you are amazingly sensitive to any unpleasant sensory experience that is training related. You are beyond the scope of what can be provided on a message board.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    This mechanism is widely described all across the internet. I, myself, have described this numerous times, both on this board and in lectures on the website. Unfortunately, I am afraid you will have to come across your own answers. You obviously disagree with virtually everything that has been told to you, you are amazingly sensitive to any unpleasant sensory experience that is training related. You are beyond the scope of what can be provided on a message board.
    You are right. All that fear came from doctors ( story in another threat ) that have traumatized me.
    I can't but think the worst case every time I'm in pain.
    In Greece, doctors aren't so weight training - friendly as there I'm afraid.
    Anyway, I'll keep searching and I'll read about this mechanism that you are talking about.
    Thanks.