starting strength gym

Thread: Assistance exercises for shoulder strengthening

Default Assistance exercises for shoulder strengthening

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I have hypermobility syndrome, which means that my joints are more unstable than normal. The treatment for this condition is simply to stay physically fit and strong to help stabilize the joints and prevent injuries. As bad as it seems, this doesn't affect my life as much. The biggest complain I have is a recurring subluxation on both shoulders (I had those for about ten to fifteen times, but never related to weigthlifiting). What happens is that my shoulder pops out of its place, stays out for a couple of seconds, and then pops right back in. It hurts a little bit, but it is manageable; I have no loss of strength or mobility. The problem is that these episodes may become a problem when I'm older, so I added a couple of exercises to the Starting Strength program in order to further strengthen my shoulders.

The exercises that I chose are lateral raises and internal and external rotations. I follow the "advanced novice" program, from Practical Programing (Squat -> Bench press/Overhead press -> Pulling exercise), so what I'm doing is when I bench press, I complement my workout with lateral raises (3x10), and when I overhead press, with internal and external rotations (3x10, conjugated).

I would like to hear your opinions on the exercises I chose and if you know a better way to treat this condition. Some additional information: I'm 31 years old, 1,83m (6'0) and 80kg (175 pounds), and my lifts are in the "category 3".

Thanks in advance,
    Rodrigo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo1709 View Post
    Hello,

I have hypermobility syndrome, which means that my joints are more unstable than normal. The treatment for this condition is simply to stay physically fit and strong to help stabilize the joints and prevent injuries. As bad as it seems, this doesn't affect my life as much. The biggest complain I have is a recurring subluxation on both shoulders (I had those for about ten to fifteen times, but never related to weigthlifiting). What happens is that my shoulder pops out of its place, stays out for a couple of seconds, and then pops right back in. It hurts a little bit, but it is manageable; I have no loss of strength or mobility. The problem is that these episodes may become a problem when I'm older, so I added a couple of exercises to the Starting Strength program in order to further strengthen my shoulders.

The exercises that I chose are lateral raises and internal and external rotations. I follow the "advanced novice" program, from Practical Programing (Squat -> Bench press/Overhead press -> Pulling exercise), so what I'm doing is when I bench press, I complement my workout with lateral raises (3x10), and when I overhead press, with internal and external rotations (3x10, conjugated).

I would like to hear your opinions on the exercises I chose and if you know a better way to treat this condition. Some additional information: I'm 31 years old, 1,83m (6'0) and 80kg (175 pounds), and my lifts are in the "category 3".

Thanks in advance,
    Rodrigo.
    If doing lateral raises and external and internal rotations bring value or joy to your life, then please keep doing them. Don't confuse that with the idea that these are likely to improve anything with your shoulder. In fact, people with multiple dislocations in their shoulders should stay away from external rotations as this recreates the positioning that most dislocations occur. As long as you are pressing and bench pressing without pain, you are more than likely going to get the benefit out of doing these, although as you continue to get stronger you may want to look into doing some variations of these exercises.

Ok! Thank you very much for your comments! Do you have specific recommendations for variations of the press and the bench press?