starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - Niggling Back Pain

Default Squat Form Check - Niggling Back Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Firstly apologies for the camera positioning, that is as far back as I can get on the 45º rear angle due to a wall.

My squats are still going up fine and I have no discomfort during sets but starting an hour or two afterwards I am getting moderate soreness in my low to mid back, both sides of my spine relatively equally. It is far from being severe, but I'm guessing it is only going to get worse and become a real problem as the weight goes up. I've taken a few videos now and can't seem to see an obvious reason for it, any enlightenment on this front would be hugely appreciated.

Aside from that I think I could have done with another inch on rep one, but two to five look ok to my eye, would you agree?

Many thanks in advance.

Video: YouTube

Have you tried wearing a belt when you squat?

Get your head down, lean over sooner and shove the knees out harder so depth isn't a question.

Investing in some lifting shoes would help too.

I've thought about a belt but with the weight still being so light I presumed it was technique error causing the issue and was worried I would end up with the same issue once the weight goes up some, is this likely?

I try to self cue 'knees out' before each rep but forgot on the first rep, will definitely take heed though on both fronts, with the rack so close to the back wall I struggle with a point of focus for head positioning.

Some of it may be technique. Like getting the knees out and reaching back so you don't have to reach so hard for depth and potentially relax something to get down there. I think you'd also benefit from a belt if your back is bugging you.

Focus on the water bottle there on the ground.