starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form getting started

Default Squat form getting started

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Could someone please check my form in the video below?

I'm 53 years old and just getting started with SS, although I have been lifting off and on for years. The mat under my right foot is because my right leg is about 1.75 cm shorter than my left. It is also the cause of my excessive anterior pelvic tilt in the standing position.

Welcome Terje
    Check out the sticky at the top of the forum to see how to film your squat next time. I'd be able to tell you more from the appropriate angle.
    Are you doing tempo squats on purpose and deliberately lowering yourself so slowly?

You're trying to keep the torso too upright as you descend. That's why you feel like you can't keep your balance unless you go so slow. The problem is, you're learning to squat on your heels.
    Get your eyes down about 1-2 meters on the floor in front of you, then lean over and send your ass back away from your feet as you descend. You'll be surprised at how you're able to better balance.
    Work on that for now. And make sure you're hitting depth each time. A couple of these reps were close.
    Good luck.

Thanks Pete!

I was going slowly to press the knees out to get deep enough — not used to it. I was also concentrating on keeping the weight mid foot, but I will have to work more on that then.

To lean even more forward I’ll need to work more on flexibility in my hips. When I try a wider stance to make room to lean forward it hurts the side of my hip.

Post another, when you get a chance, from the correct angle and we'll take a look. It'll give us a better idea of what's going on with the stance and if there's a tie-in to hip pain.