starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift - I measured my foot and midfoot is not 1 inch away from the bar

Default Deadlift - I measured my foot and midfoot is not 1 inch away from the bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

I have been deadlifting for several years (not professional though, my max is like 400 lbs). Recently, I started deadlifting with the SS method. However, the "shins 1 inch from the bar" method feels quite weird to me. It feels as though the bar is way too close to my shins. As the rule goes, this method will place the bar right above my mid foot. It almost feels as if I am falling over in this position. That's why I measured my foot and came to the conclusion that my mid foot as a bit more far away than 1 inch from my shins - more like 2,3 inches. My foot is like 28,5 cm long from toe to heel - thus I assumed my mid foot is at 14,25 cm. I know you say that the rule applies to everyone so I'd like to hear where I am wrong here (if I am in fact wrong), because subjectively, the deadlift feels way more natural when the bar is placed a bit further away. I also feel as though I am able to generate more force if the bar is placed a bit further away. So should I really place the bar 1 inch away from my shins or rather over mid foot?

Thanks in advance!

Felix

Put it anywhere you want it.

Hey Rip,

can you (or someone else) elaborate more on this? I know that you have empirical evidence/experience that mid foot is about 1 inch away from the bar for pretty much everyone. I just want to know where I am wrong since I don't believe I am a special snowflake with different feet anatomy. Or is midfoot something else than the geometric middle of the foot? I also recall you said it is "around" one inch, so is there any acceptable tolerance?

It's a heuristic and not exactly one inch for everyone, since anthropometry varies. Without seeing your deadlift setup, it would be tough to say how much more than an inch from your shin you'd need to set the bar. We look at multiple diagnostic points that also help to determine where the bar should start, including shin angle and shoulders/scaps relative to the bar.
    Look at the sticky for filming guidelines and post a video of your deadlift.

Alright thanks, I will do that as soon as I have the possibility to make a video with better quality!