starting strength gym

Thread: Stiff, short bristle nylon brush recommendation?

Default Stiff, short bristle nylon brush recommendation?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Anybody know of a good place to find a good stiff, short bristled nylon brush for removing chalk from my barbell? I have a cerakote bar so I don't want to use a brass brush and risk damaging the coating. I've tried regular nylon brushes used for cleaning but because of the softness and length of the bristles they're all pretty bad at removing chalk.

I use a Libman scrub, white and green with a partially open handle. Try the big box stores, perhaps Menards.

Amazon.com. It's 2020, okay?

Ok. Something like this:

Libman 15 Small Scrub Brush with Ergonomic Handle

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N48MQW..._msbqEb4J78M3D

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Ok. Something like this:

Thanks for the help.

Just curious, why bother removing chalk from your bar? Mine, after 7 years, has very little and I don't see it as a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    Just curious, why bother removing chalk from your bar? Mine, after 7 years, has very little and I don't see it as a problem.
    Not sure if this is the OP’s situation, but I train in my garage, which is humid for part of the year, and I brush the chalk off because it retains moisture which can lead to rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    Because it tends to cake in the knurl. This tends to reduce the knurl's effectiveness, while the moisture trapped in the chalk corrodes the surface of the bar.

It's also not just chalk if it's a heavy knurl bar, it's skin particle and other foreign matter that doesn't help the chalk do it's job. I just went to the scrub brush section of the grocery store and got a small stiff scrub brush. It fits easily in my go bag with the chalk, micro plates, magnetic timer, and notebook. If the bar is dirty I give it a quick scrubbing and then grind in my chalk, hahaha.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Because it tends to cake in the knurl. This tends to reduce the knurl's effectiveness, while the moisture trapped in the chalk corrodes the surface of the bar.
    Interesting, thanks. I'm using the Rippetoe bar and haven't noticed anything. No rusting, but I keep it in an air-conditioned space. Maybe I'm not using enough chalk.